Posted to alt.home.repair
Rory Deol

Default Hungarian Shelving on a Concrete Wall?

I am new to any construction yet I am determined. What I want to do is
install hungarian shelves
http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/0F...6001143E7E506/
in my basement. The basement is concrete and the house is over 160 yrs
old but in excellent condition. My question is essentially how do I
secure the shelves into the wall? What kind of material will I need? I
have to ask though that you use simple terminology as I am not familiar
at all with building lingo. Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Rory Deol" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am new to any construction yet I am determined. What I want to do is
install hungarian shelves
http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/0F...6001143E7E506/
in my basement. The basement is concrete and the house is over 160 yrs
old but in excellent condition. My question is essentially how do I
secure the shelves into the wall? What kind of material will I need? I
have to ask though that you use simple terminology as I am not familiar
at all with building lingo. Thanks in advance.

Broad based questions are worthless.

How much weight are the shelves going to hold? Look for fasteners that will
accomidate the weight.

Drilling a concrete wall in a 160 year old basement would not be my first
choice. Might be time to look for free standing book shelves

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rory Deol" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am new to any construction yet I am determined. What I want to do is
install hungarian shelves
http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/0F...6001143E7E506/
in my basement. The basement is concrete and the house is over 160 yrs
old but in excellent condition. My question is essentially how do I
secure the shelves into the wall? What kind of material will I need? I
have to ask though that you use simple terminology as I am not familiar
at all with building lingo. Thanks in advance.

Unless the walls are perfectly flat and plumb, you may have problems with
any mounting system. Putting them directly on the concrete meat drilling
for anchors and it old concrete, that can be a major job.

Look for a better system of shelves or put some sort of framing on the wall
and mount to that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 02:47:05 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Rory Deol" wrote in message
roups.com...
I am new to any construction yet I am determined. What I want to do is
install hungarian shelves
http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/0F...6001143E7E506/
in my basement. The basement is concrete and the house is over 160 yrs
old but in excellent condition. My question is essentially how do I
secure the shelves into the wall? What kind of material will I need? I
have to ask though that you use simple terminology as I am not familiar
at all with building lingo. Thanks in advance.

Unless the walls are perfectly flat and plumb, you may have problems with
any mounting system. Putting them directly on the concrete meat drilling
for anchors and it old concrete, that can be a major job.

Look for a better system of shelves or put some sort of framing on the wall
and mount to that.

Replace the individual brackets with continuous planks up the wall,
and glue both those and the shelves on with a solid bead of glue.
If you're storing paint cans or bricks, then cut out some 1/2"
plywood, attach the shelves to THAT with screws from the back and
glue form the front, and glue the entire assembly to the wall.
Use a gap-filing construction adhesive. The downside to all
this is that you'll probably need a flamethrower to get the thing
down when you change your mind.