Posted to alt.home.repair
Lisaw

Default Laminate floorboard popping up

We installed laminate flooring in our home in March. Just last week I
noticed that it has started to pop up right outside our bedroom door.
It is one continuous floor from the living room through our bedroom.
When I step on it it flattens, then pops up again when I step off. My
feeling is that it has expanded and we didn't leave enough room on the
edges (we did use spacers). Any thoughts on this? I really don't want
to rip the whole thing up but don't want it to get worse either.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

If you remove the moldings on 2 sides , hopefully you can fix it. Make sure
the nails holding the moldings aren't preventing the floor from moving.

"Lisaw" wrote in message
ups.com...
We installed laminate flooring in our home in March. Just last week I
noticed that it has started to pop up right outside our bedroom door.
It is one continuous floor from the living room through our bedroom.
When I step on it it flattens, then pops up again when I step off. My
feeling is that it has expanded and we didn't leave enough room on the
edges (we did use spacers). Any thoughts on this? I really don't want
to rip the whole thing up but don't want it to get worse either.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Lisaw wrote:
We installed laminate flooring in our home in March. Just last week I
noticed that it has started to pop up right outside our bedroom door.
It is one continuous floor from the living room through our bedroom.
When I step on it it flattens, then pops up again when I step off. My
feeling is that it has expanded and we didn't leave enough room on the
edges (we did use spacers). Any thoughts on this? I really don't want
to rip the whole thing up but don't want it to get worse either.

It is one continuous floor with a narrower section where it crosses the
doorway. The gaps are supposed to be around the entire perimeter of
the room. I'd hazard a guess that you didn't leave a gap at the
doorway. In other words, there is no expansion space right at the
doorway.

The only way to make a lasting repair is to cut the flooring at the
doorway and install a threshhold/saddle strip to cover the gap at the
door. You need expansion space on both sides for both rooms, so the
saddle should not be nailed to either floor. Typically a narrow strip
of flooring/blocking is in the center of the gap at the doorway leaving
expansion space on both sides of the blocking - the saddle is only
nailed to the blocking.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jesse

On 31 May 2006 09:18:20 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Lisaw wrote:
We installed laminate flooring in our home in March. Just last week I
noticed that it has started to pop up right outside our bedroom door.
It is one continuous floor from the living room through our bedroom.
When I step on it it flattens, then pops up again when I step off. My
feeling is that it has expanded and we didn't leave enough room on the
edges (we did use spacers). Any thoughts on this? I really don't want
to rip the whole thing up but don't want it to get worse either.

When you say that you used spacers---- I hope you didn't leave them
in???? jesse
It is one continuous floor with a narrower section where it crosses the
doorway. The gaps are supposed to be around the entire perimeter of
the room. I'd hazard a guess that you didn't leave a gap at the
doorway. In other words, there is no expansion space right at the
doorway.

The only way to make a lasting repair is to cut the flooring at the
doorway and install a threshhold/saddle strip to cover the gap at the
door. You need expansion space on both sides for both rooms, so the
saddle should not be nailed to either floor. Typically a narrow strip
of flooring/blocking is in the center of the gap at the doorway leaving
expansion space on both sides of the blocking - the saddle is only
nailed to the blocking.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lisaw

Nope, we took the spacers out. It's a tongue-and-groove "click" style
glueless floor.

You're right - we didn't leave a gap at the doorway - the floor
continues from one room into the other. Is there a way to cut the
flooring at the doorway without ripping the whole thing up?

Right now I have a 40-lb dumbbell sitting on the floor to hold it in
place. Obviously that can't stay there - but I thought I'd leave it
there for a day or two to see if things adjust themselves. Probably
not, though.

Lisa

wrote:

Lisaw wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jesse

wrote:

Lisaw wrote:
[...]

If you have a biscuit slot cutter (the dedicated one not the tool you
can use in a router) it will make a decent cut using a straight guide.
That is what I use for undercutting casing, etc. jesse
Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Lisaw wrote:
Nope, we took the spacers out. It's a tongue-and-groove "click" style
glueless floor.

You're right - we didn't leave a gap at the doorway - the floor
continues from one room into the other. Is there a way to cut the
flooring at the doorway without ripping the whole thing up?

Right now I have a 40-lb dumbbell sitting on the floor to hold it in
place. Obviously that can't stay there - but I thought I'd leave it
there for a day or two to see if things adjust themselves. Probably
not, though.

Wish it was that simple.

You can cut the flooring with any of a number of tools. A dremel tool
with a cut off blade, a rotozip, a flooring saw, an azebiki (Japanese
curved saw used for plunge cutting), chisels, etc. A chisel will be
necessary to complete the cut in any event.

Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe

Dremel tools have an optional add-on. It attaches to the drive shaft
and houses a blade about 1.5" in diameter that looks like a miniature
circular toothed saw blade. It sits at an angle of about 20 degrees
from shaft centerline, so you can get it into tight spaces.

On 31 May 2006 20:01:13 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrotF:

Lisaw wrote:
Nope, we took the spacers out. It's a tongue-and-groove "click" style
glueless floor.

You're right - we didn't leave a gap at the doorway - the floor
continues from one room into the other. Is there a way to cut the
flooring at the doorway without ripping the whole thing up?

Right now I have a 40-lb dumbbell sitting on the floor to hold it in
place. Obviously that can't stay there - but I thought I'd leave it
there for a day or two to see if things adjust themselves. Probably
not, though.

Wish it was that simple.

You can cut the flooring with any of a number of tools. A dremel tool
with a cut off blade, a rotozip, a flooring saw, an azebiki (Japanese
curved saw used for plunge cutting), chisels, etc. A chisel will be
necessary to complete the cut in any event.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lisaw

Wow - thanks so much! I didn't think I could cut it there, but I'll
definitely check this out. The Dremel add-on sounds PERFECT! Which tool
would you recommend that goes with that blade?

Lisa

Lisaw wrote:
Nope, we took the spacers out. It's a tongue-and-groove "click" style
glueless floor.

You're right - we didn't leave a gap at the doorway - the floor
continues from one room into the other. Is there a way to cut the
flooring at the doorway without ripping the whole thing up?

Right now I have a 40-lb dumbbell sitting on the floor to hold it in
place. Obviously that can't stay there - but I thought I'd leave it
there for a day or two to see if things adjust themselves. Probably
not, though.

Wish it was that simple.

You can cut the flooring with any of a number of tools. A dremel tool
with a cut off blade, a rotozip, a flooring saw, an azebiki (Japanese
curved saw used for plunge cutting), chisels, etc. A chisel will be
necessary to complete the cut in any event.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I would go online and download the installation instructions and review them
and figure out what you screwed up. By the way, some click flooring has to
be glued if there is something extremely heavy like a piano in the room.

"Lisaw" wrote in message
ups.com...
We installed laminate flooring in our home in March. Just last week I
noticed that it has started to pop up right outside our bedroom door.
It is one continuous floor from the living room through our bedroom.
When I step on it it flattens, then pops up again when I step off. My
feeling is that it has expanded and we didn't leave enough room on the
edges (we did use spacers). Any thoughts on this? I really don't want
to rip the whole thing up but don't want it to get worse either.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Lisaw" wrote in message
ps.com...
We fixed it - I got a dremel with the circular saw attachment, cut and
removed a 1.25" strip across the doorway and put in a t-molding.
Flattened right out and is as good as new!

Thanks

Good for you! Nice to hear a happy ending.