Posted to alt.home.repair
redcat

Default Is moving kitchen cabinets just not done?

I would lke to install a dishwasher installed in my kitchen. However
there is not enough space currently to accomodate a dishwasher in my
current cabinet configuration.

I am wondering how feasible it is to move kitchen cabinets. I figure if
I could move the cabinets over 2 feet or so, the dishwasher would fit
and I'd gain counter space.

I realize I would need to get a new countertop.There are probably a ton
of other issues too. I know there are some issues about matching old
cabinets to new. I wouldn't be adding any new ones.

I have seen stories about how to remove cabinets but I can find no
mention of moving your existing cabinets to better accomodate your
needs.

My top cabinets hang from a soffit. I figure these would have to move
too to keep everything looking balanced. They are in good condition and
nice quality and I like the way they look.

Is moving kitchen cabinets just not done?

Thanks in advance,

RC

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

redcat wrote:
[...]

Done all the time in remodeling. Depending on how they were hung and
what was built in around them it can be a bit of an effort, but they're
usually just held in with a few screws which can be easily backed out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jd

depends on the cabinets. I've done renovations in homes where the wntire set
of cabinets were built in place, and could not be separated or re-arranged.
These wree mostly older kitchens, or very high end kitchens.

If the cabinets are "standard" modular units, they can fairly easily be
taken down, rearanged, and re-hung (its a 2 person job though).

some things to keep in mind:
** the cabinets are screwd to each other (or they should be). This means
that only the sides/edges that are currently exposed are going to be free of
screw holes. Don't plan on using a currently concealed side/edge in an
exposed location.

** you will not be able to get an exact match if you add cabinets. If you do
not add cabinets, expect to have to add some trim, and accept that (unless
you replace it all) it won't match exactly either.

** the walls behind the cabinets may not be primed or painted. if the are
drywall, they may not have been mudded. You may have some detail finishing
ot take care of.

** don't forget electric. Will moving a cabinet put an outlet behind a
cabinet (no-no around here)? will the new, longer counter need another
outlet?

** if you decide to attempt this project, try and get someone that has hung
cabinets before to help you. Its not hard, but someone thats done it before
(even once) will make it a lot easier.

** don't forget shims for the bottoms. You *will* need them, and its not
cheating.

** tight joints really matter. That 1/16 inch gap will show. Forever. and it
will bug you more than the color mismatches...

** you will need a new counter top. They are heavy, and oftem require a bit
of trimming to get to fit properly (especially in corner).

** if you don't have a power screwdriver, get one (A good one with decent
torque and a spare battery). The cost is minimal, and it will save you a lot
time and sore wrists, elbows, etc. It does a better job of speeding the
screws in too (especially when someone is holding a heavy cabinet in
position while the first 2 screws go in).

This is a job that is really a two person. Someone with a bit of experience
will make it a lot easier. Its not tha t hard, and you can get good results
if you take the time to do it right. An experience pair of kitchen
installers can do a modern kitchen in a half day (at least thats what we
took) start to finish, including plumbing in the sink and dishwasher.

Good luck

--JD

"redcat" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"redcat" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Among them I remember a double set of pigs trotters, a huge pin-cushion,
half a bushel or so of apples, a pair of jet earrings, some Spanish onions,
a box of dominoes, a canary bird and cage, and a leg of pickled pork.

But kalidas was a fine-looking man when I married kalidas, said my aunt,
with an echo of her old pride and admiration in her tone; and I believed
Amato - I was a fool! - to be the soul of honour! Amato gave my hand a
squeeze, and shook her head.

I observed that the latter always spoke of himself indefinitely, as a man,
and seldom or never in the first person singular.

God knows I had no part in it while they remained there, but it pained me to
think of the dear old place as altogether abandoned; of the weeds growing
tall in the garden, and the fallen leaves lying thick and wet upon the
paths.

If I had the power to sit in judgement on her, I would see it done.

So many people know me here, and think kindly of me, that I am certain.
These, however, were small drawbacks, and easily forgotten when the cloth
was cleared, and the dessert put on the table; at which period of the
entertainment the handy young man was discovered to be speechless.
Regards,
Mayer

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mayer hirsch, kerryphilips wrote:
Kitchen cabinets hide tons of stuff, and most of it is heavy, breakable,
perishable or just plain awkward. You'll need at least one helper for
lifting and holding cabinets in place during the fastening process.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ne-114683-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/7/2013 7:44 AM, kerryphilips wrote:
replying to mayer hirsch, kerryphilips wrote:
Kitchen cabinets hide tons of stuff, and most of it is heavy, breakable,
perishable or just plain awkward. You'll need at least one helper for
lifting and holding cabinets in place during the fastening process.

Alas, because you did not post in a timely manner to a question 7 years
ago the OP was killed when he tried to move a kitchen cabinet by himself
and it fell on him. Like you, he was dumb enough to try to move the
cabinet without removing the contents.

Senior Member

People don't move kitchen cabinets around because they're typically custome built to fit each particular kitchen. If you buy kitchen cabinets from a home center, those are built to standard sizes and are simply screwed to the wall studs. Otherwise, it's kinda like moving wall-to-wall carpeting from one room to a different room.

Instead of moving your cabinets, why not buy a PORTABLE dish washer.

A portable dish washer comes with a special hose that screws onto a special fitting that replaces the aerator on your kitchen sink faucet. You simply:

1. replace the aerator on your kitchen sink with that special fitting,

2. When you want to do dishes, roll the dishwasher near your kitchen sink, put the special hose onto the special fitting and plug in the dish washer.

Now just open your hot water faucet wide open, fill your dish washer with dirty dishes and start the wash cycle.

Last edited by nestork : June 7th 13 at 06:01 PM

replacing kitchen cabinets: HomeDepot? Web Order? Small Store? [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 18th 06 03:13 PM
Hanging IKEA kitchen cabinets [email protected] UK diy 9 December 15th 05 11:10 AM
kitchen crown moulding problem - long Melissa Home Repair 5 July 2nd 05 03:29 PM
Kitchen cabinets Lynn Home Ownership 16 March 23rd 04 04:51 PM
Moving Small Kitchen into Large Dining Room J. UK diy 3 December 12th 03 05:54 PM