DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Carpet impressions (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/163430-carpet-impressions.html)

PanHandler May 27th 06 02:09 PM

Carpet impressions

I've been relocating some furniture, and wherever there was anything heavy,
there is now a 'footprint' of the item in the carpet. The carpet is
commercial grade nylon, with ½" rebond pad. Is there an effective way to
make the fibers 'stand up' again so that the imprints are no longer visible?
TIA

----------------------------------
Easy's getting harder everyday.

Edwin Pawlowski May 27th 06 02:42 PM

Carpet impressions

"PanHandler" wrote in message
. ..
I've been relocating some furniture, and wherever there was anything
heavy, there is now a 'footprint' of the item in the carpet. The carpet is
commercial grade nylon, with ½" rebond pad. Is there an effective way to
make the fibers 'stand up' again so that the imprints are no longer
visible?
TIA

Time and running the vacuum over them works for our carpet. May vary a bit
with different fibers.

PanHandler May 27th 06 02:59 PM

Carpet impressions

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

Time and running the vacuum over them works for our carpet. May vary a
bit with different fibers.

Thanks Ed. I've tried several things, including a heavy duty hair-pick type
forked thing, after using a steam iron briefly thru wet toweling. This
carpet is pretty rugged stuff - after years of use it's not showing any
signs of wear. If an item isn't in one place too long, it springs back
pretty quickly, but older impressions are vividly outlined. Very unsightly.

[email protected] May 27th 06 04:00 PM

Carpet impressions

It often helps if you steam the crushed spots. Use a damp towel and an
iron, then "fluff up" the fibers a little with your fingers or
something (I have an old rat-tail comb and the tip works well for
this). Don't walk on the spots or vacuum until they are thoroughly dry
afterward.

Jo Ann

Steve B May 27th 06 06:53 PM

Carpet impressions

"PanHandler" wrote in message
. ..
I've been relocating some furniture, and wherever there was anything
heavy, there is now a 'footprint' of the item in the carpet. The carpet is
commercial grade nylon, with ½" rebond pad. Is there an effective way to
make the fibers 'stand up' again so that the imprints are no longer
visible?
TIA

Easy's getting harder everyday.

Put an ice cube in each divot. Let it melt. When wet, fluff it up. Works
good for me.

Steve

PanHandler May 29th 06 10:12 PM

Carpet impressions

Thanks for the help folks. I'll try the ice cube thing next.