DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A/C - How to protect the sill? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/163383-c-how-protect-sill.html)

CF May 27th 06 01:54 AM

A/C - How to protect the sill?

I have brand new Anderson windows that I want to install a couple A/Cs in.

How can I protect the sills from condensation? Is there something I can
put between there?

I was thinking of taping a plastic bag on top of it...

-CF

JoeSpareBedroom May 27th 06 02:06 AM

A/C - How to protect the sill?

"CF" wrote in message
I have brand new Anderson windows that I want to install a couple A/Cs in.

How can I protect the sills from condensation? Is there something I can
put between there?

I was thinking of taping a plastic bag on top of it...

-CF

I used room air conditioners for quite a few years and never found
condensation under them. They dripped out the back of the units. Assemble
something out of 2x4 lumber for the units to rest on. Anyplace the wood
contacts the windows, sills or AC units, they should be covered with thick
weatherstripping to minimize noise and contact damage. Design these wooden
things with a slight slant that facilitates proper draining.

Colbyt May 27th 06 02:39 AM

A/C - How to protect the sill?

"CF" wrote in message
I have brand new Anderson windows that I want to install a couple A/Cs in.

How can I protect the sills from condensation? Is there something I can
put between there?

I was thinking of taping a plastic bag on top of it...

-CF

Properly installed the water should drip from the outer edge of the unit if
it drips at all.

I have protected my windows from improper installation using a small field
formed piece of metal flashing. Plastic might work as well.

Colbyt