Posted to alt.home.repair
Techhead

Default Dimmer Switch Installation

I need help wiring a dimmer switch. My switch has 2 black wires and 1
green wire. My outlet box has a ground wire, 1 black, 1 white, and 1
red wire. It is a 3-way switch. How do I wire my dimmer with a
black,white, red, and ground wire?

Thanks,
Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

If you removed a three way switch or dimmer from the box, you need to
replace it with a three way switch or dimmer.

"Techhead" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need help wiring a dimmer switch. My switch has 2 black wires and 1
green wire. My outlet box has a ground wire, 1 black, 1 white, and 1
red wire. It is a 3-way switch. How do I wire my dimmer with a
black,white, red, and ground wire?

Thanks,
Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

RBM wrote:
If you removed a three way switch or dimmer from the box, you need to
replace it with a three way switch or dimmer.

"Techhead" wrote in message
oups.com...

I need help wiring a dimmer switch. My switch has 2 black wires and 1
green wire. My outlet box has a ground wire, 1 black, 1 white, and 1
red wire. It is a 3-way switch. How do I wire my dimmer with a
black,white, red, and ground wire?

Thanks,
Brian

Or, 3 way does not work any more.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Techhead

My old dimmer is the same as my new dimmer except that the wire colors
are different. I don't remember how my old dimmer was wired.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

What are the colors on the old dimmer and is there another switch somewhere
that controls the same light?
"Techhead" wrote in message
oups.com...
My old dimmer is the same as my new dimmer except that the wire colors
are different. I don't remember how my old dimmer was wired.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Techhead

I threw my old one out so I have no clue what color the wires are. I
have another regular switch that turns the fan on/off. The 3-way wiring
is actually done at the fan. The dimmer switch powers the fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

You are not giving me enough info to be definitive, but if all three wires
were used by the old dimmer, not including any ground wire, there are two
possibilities I can think of. One, is that you had a three way dimmer and
you need to get another one. Second, you had a combination speed control/
dimmer which controlled the fan speeds and dimmed the light separately

"Techhead" wrote in message
oups.com...
I threw my old one out so I have no clue what color the wires are. I
have another regular switch that turns the fan on/off. The 3-way wiring
is actually done at the fan. The dimmer switch powers the fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Techhead

None of the above.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

The only thing left to do is touch combinations of wires together until you
find the pair that turns on the light, then wire those two wires through
your dimmer, and cap the third wire

"Techhead" wrote in message
ups.com...
None of the above.