Posted to alt.home.repair
Aaron

Default How to deal with roofer and roof leaks

The warranty on our roof reshingling is nearly up, and there are
clearly at least five leaks. Only one is super-obvious though--the
ceiling has been damaged--with the others showing up as mold and close
to 100% humidity in certain areas/rooms that never had a humidity or
mold problem before. It was my mom's house when the job was done, but
I was there, and the owner was kind of a jerk. So I suspect what'll
happen is that he'll just want to fix the obvious one and leave the
rest, but I think he should redo the whole thing.

Any ideas on how to proceed? Should I pay for a third party to
inspect?

Thanks,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

what warranty are you talking about? how long ago was the roof done?
having a roofer redo the whole thing sounds extreme. i would say you
need to have a third party out to look at the roof and figure out why
it is leaking. for example, it doesn't seem reasonable to expect a
roofer to replace the entire roof if it is a flashing problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Boatright

"Aaron" wrote in message
ups.com...
The warranty on our roof reshingling is nearly up, and there are
clearly at least five leaks. Only one is super-obvious though--the
ceiling has been damaged--with the others showing up as mold and close
to 100% humidity in certain areas/rooms that never had a humidity or
mold problem before. It was my mom's house when the job was done, but
I was there, and the owner was kind of a jerk. So I suspect what'll
happen is that he'll just want to fix the obvious one and leave the
rest, but I think he should redo the whole thing.

Any ideas on how to proceed? Should I pay for a third party to
inspect?

Thanks,

Aaron

You need to go into the attic and clearly identify the areas where the roof
is leaking. The best time to do this is during or right after a rain. Even
better is if you can get the roofer there at the same time. Any decent
roofer will quicly recognize wet decking or rafters, and any reputable
roofer will take care of the leaks if the roof is in warranty.

Take pictures of the leaks from inside. Take lots of pictures so the odds
are in your favor that at least one or two of the pictures of each leak will
clearly show the problem. Keep a set of the pictures for your records in
case you have to go to small claims court.

If the roofer tries to dodge you, send him/her a certified letter, or even
better (in states where it is allowed) get the roofer on the phone and
record the conversation. It is bad when it comes down to less than
straightforward measures, but in some states, recordings of phone
conversations are legal evidence if one party (you in this case) knows the
conversation is being taped.

Before your warranty expires, make sure you can document that you provided
him notice that warranty work is necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Aaron wrote:

The warranty on our roof reshingling is nearly up, and there are
clearly at least five leaks. Only one is super-obvious though--the
ceiling has been damaged--with the others showing up as mold and close
to 100% humidity in certain areas/rooms that never had a humidity or
mold problem before. It was my mom's house when the job was done, but
I was there, and the owner was kind of a jerk. So I suspect what'll
happen is that he'll just want to fix the obvious one and leave the
rest, but I think he should redo the whole thing.

Any ideas on how to proceed? Should I pay for a third party to
inspect?

Thanks,

Aaron

What is term of the warranty? How long has it been leaking? How many
times have you called the roofer to correct the problem?

If it is a 20 year warranty, and the roof is 19 years old, it is
probably time to get a new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

On 26 May 2006 14:26:13 -0700, "Aaron" wrote:

The warranty on our roof reshingling is nearly up, and there are
clearly at least five leaks. Only one is super-obvious though--the
ceiling has been damaged--with the others showing up as mold and close
to 100% humidity in certain areas/rooms that never had a humidity or
mold problem before. It was my mom's house when the job was done, but
I was there, and the owner was kind of a jerk. So I suspect what'll
happen is that he'll just want to fix the obvious one and leave the
rest, but I think he should redo the whole thing.

Any ideas on how to proceed? Should I pay for a third party to
inspect?

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron,

you seem to be treading into an area that could be very, very
frustrating. Good luck.

IMHO: I would secure your right to getting everythign fixed under
the warranty, but gathering as much evidence as possible. Photos,
video tapes, and certified letters informing the roofer about the
current conditions. If you roofer fails to repair the work, I would
suggest you proceed consult with a lawyer. You might have to cut your
losses(meaning minimize water damage), and get another roofer. Then
sue the original roofer for the cost of the second roofers work. Make
sure you document everthing.

Remember, you need not yell scream, or threaten. Just remember, if
you think this is more than a simple failure to follow a warranty
policy, then seek help also from your state's consumer protection
agency, and you might want to talk to the BBB.

Good luck, and remember keep a supply of antacids ready.

later,

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com