Posted to alt.home.repair
yddkdd

Default replacing my geothermal heat pump...

I have an 18 year old ?? ClimateMaster 3.5 ton geothermal heat pump
(Model #805042GHWSTRTNON - 1 Stage Unit) that needs to be replaced. (It
has a freon leak that I am told is in an area that is not repairable.)
It is located in an "attic crawl space" with limited area
- seems as if the house was built for this unit, as there is not much
room left.

Anyway, when I replace it (haven't gotten my quotes back yet), will it
likely be cheaper to replace it with a modern GTHP (even if I might
need a split unit for space) than to switch to a conventional unit ?

I live in South Louisiana, so we need the cooling alot more than we
need the heating... (As always, needed repairs come at the worst time
of the year...)

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

yddkdd wrote:
I have an 18 year old ?? ClimateMaster 3.5 ton geothermal heat pump
(Model #805042GHWSTRTNON - 1 Stage Unit) that needs to be replaced. (It
has a freon leak that I am told is in an area that is not repairable.)
It is located in an "attic crawl space" with limited area
- seems as if the house was built for this unit, as there is not much
room left.

Anyway, when I replace it (haven't gotten my quotes back yet), will it
likely be cheaper to replace it with a modern GTHP (even if I might
need a split unit for space) than to switch to a conventional unit ?

I live in South Louisiana, so we need the cooling alot more than we
need the heating... (As always, needed repairs come at the worst time
of the year...)

Kevin

Geothermal heat pumps are more expensive than conventional to install, but have FAR lower operating costs. Both are likely to cost you several thousand dollars to acquire and install. Given that you already have the ground loop installed, the cost differential is not likely to be too large.

Space can be an issue, so considering a split unit is a worthwhile issue to raise with the HVAC contractor.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

yddkdd wrote:
Thanks. The normal HVAC guys I use for routine maintenance don't
really do much installation of these units, so I am trying to find
someone who has some expertise in this area to to the replacement...

www.waterfurnace.com turns up dealers in New Orleans, Slidell,
Lafayette and Baton Rouge

Course WaterFurnace is not the only supplier of this equipment, but it
is useful to talk to their dealers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
yddkdd

The Lafayette guuy is too busy, but the B.R. guy can do it. Any other
manufacturers that you would recommend for residential units ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would be looking at manufacturers websites on the internet and ask
them who in your area sells them or installs them. Start with the
manufacturer of your current unit. If you can find out who distributes
it, call them and ask who installs them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
yddkdd

I just got an estimate from one local dealer who said that he would
need to replace it with a conventional air heat pump with electric
heat. The unit is bigger (a 4 ton based on his calcs, and my terrible
ductwork/access problem), SEER 19, would require me to get an
elctrician to install a sub-panel for the outside unit, etc.

His quote : $10, 641.

Baton Rouge dealer estimate to replace the existing GHP with a SEER 14
WaterFurnace Versatec (economy model) having almost the exact same
physical dimensions - $5500-$6000.

Looks like I'll get the "replacement" done whenever I can get the guy
here from Baton Rouge ...