DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   to felt or not? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/162855-felt-not.html)

jonfechner May 22nd 06 06:06 AM

to felt or not?

Hi, my next job is to put hardi lap siding over painted ti-11 plywood
siding. Existing siding is soild and in good shape. Their is no vapor
barrior on the house now. Should I felt over the existing siding?

Joseph Meehan May 22nd 06 12:12 PM

to felt or not?

jonfechner wrote:
Hi, my next job is to put hardi lap siding over painted ti-11 plywood
siding. Existing siding is soild and in good shape. Their is no vapor
barrior on the house now. Should I felt over the existing siding?

I would suggest a house wrap. You don't want that felt to become a
vapor barrier when you don't have a proper one on the inside.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Keith Williams May 22nd 06 09:30 PM

to felt or not?

In article ,
says...
jonfechner wrote:
Hi, my next job is to put hardi lap siding over painted ti-11 plywood
siding. Existing siding is soild and in good shape. Their is no vapor
barrior on the house now. Should I felt over the existing siding?

I would suggest a house wrap. You don't want that felt to become a
vapor barrier when you don't have a proper one on the inside.

What about an uninsulated attached garage? I have to replace the
clapboard siding this summer. It has nothing under the siding now
(the house is wrapped).

--
Keith

Colbyt May 23rd 06 01:10 AM

to felt or not?

"jonfechner" wrote in message
news:489696a2dc9730bdf0a91a014b4309f7@homerepairli ve.com...
Hi, my next job is to put hardi lap siding over painted ti-11 plywood
siding. Existing siding is soild and in good shape. Their is no vapor
barrior on the house now. Should I felt over the existing siding?

I would use house wrap because it will let water vapor out but not let water
in. Suffering from OCD I would also spend the time to overlap and tape it
per the recommendations. Before I put it up I would make sure I caulked
every nook and cranny with the highest quality caulk I could afford. Then I
would caulk the hardie per recommendations. Don't forget the flashing on
the butt joints.

Suffer once and get paid back for years.

Colbyt

Joseph Meehan May 23rd 06 02:13 AM

to felt or not?

Keith Williams wrote:
In article ,
says...
jonfechner wrote:
Hi, my next job is to put hardi lap siding over painted ti-11
plywood siding. Existing siding is soild and in good shape. Their
is no vapor barrior on the house now. Should I felt over the
existing siding?

I would suggest a house wrap. You don't want that felt to
become a vapor barrier when you don't have a proper one on the
inside.

What about an uninsulated attached garage? I have to replace the
clapboard siding this summer. It has nothing under the siding now
(the house is wrapped).

I have not really done that, but I think I would use neither unless you
lived in a very windy area. I would guess that either could be used.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit