Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brand new MTD Yardworks lawn tractor won't start.

Yes I know you get what you pay for..but my last MTD last about 11 yrs
so I thought I'd buy another. Got it home the other day, filled it with
fresh fuel, made sure the oil was ok..etc..When I went to start it, it
wouldn't even turn over. It was dead. I just assumed they had charged
the battery at the factory. Just for the fun of it I phoned the 1-800
number and asked if they indeed charge the battery at the factory. The
phone rep said yes..

I thru the charger on for a couple of hours. It started, but it took
many tries. Cut the front lawn. The next day went to do the back... it
turns over, but doesn't start. I threw the charger on again,..this time
for 4 hrs. The manual says no less then 1 hr. It started very easily
this time. Today I went out to finish the job, and it's not starting
again. Turning over, not starting.

I'm think I'm going to take the tractor back to the store. The problem
is they will just give me another one, and what if it does the same
thing? The tractor is a 15.5 Yard Works

Any suggestions to what I may be overlooking. All the connections are
tight all over the machine. Should I be charging the battery longer?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes I know you get what you pay for..but my last MTD last about 11 yrs
so I thought I'd buy another. Got it home the other day, filled it with
fresh fuel, made sure the oil was ok..etc..When I went to start it, it
wouldn't even turn over. It was dead. I just assumed they had charged
the battery at the factory. Just for the fun of it I phoned the 1-800
number and asked if they indeed charge the battery at the factory. The
phone rep said yes..

You can get a bum unit by any brand. I bought a new John Deere about 2
years ago. It was delivered serviced and ready to run and I drove it from
the driveway to the basement of a house we just bought. Came out next week
to the house (was in the process of moving from one to the other) and filled
it up with fresh gas from a brand new 5 gallon gas can. It went about 200
feet and died. I started it up and it went about another 200 feet and quit.
Then from 50 to 100 feet was all it would run. They came by and picked it
up. Brought it back next week (as soon as I could meet them) .Said the seat
switch was bad so they replaced the seat. I parked it in the basement
again. Next week It started doing its thing of running a short time and
stopping. It would run for about 10 minuits at a time now. Did not have
time to mess with it as a fellow came by that was doing some work on the
house for me and I needed to help him. Came back to the house the next
week. Got on the mower and had decided if it messed up I was going to send
it back. It ran just fine for about an hour or so tuil I cut it off. From
that time on the only time it stops is when I cut it off or one of the
safety switches cut it off such as when I get off without putting the brake
on.
Well pleased with it for the last two years .

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

I'm think I'm going to take the tractor back to the store. The problem
is they will just give me another one, and what if it does the same
thing? The tractor is a 15.5 Yard Works

Any suggestions to what I may be overlooking. All the connections are
tight all over the machine. Should I be charging the battery longer?

Only thing you are overlooking is the dealer. Call him and tell him the
problem. That is why companies have warranties. They will either fix or
replace it.

No matter the brand, sometimes thing happen in shipping, store personnel
mistreat things, etc. Let them make good on it. As for a replacement doing
the same thing, I sort of doubt it. Common sense says that if every MTD
Yard Works tractor did not start, they would not still be in business. . .
.. . of course anything is possible

Posted to alt.home.repair
Freckles

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Have the battery checked. I've seen brand new batteries fail.

Could save yourself a lot of time and trouble if that is the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

Take it back. If the second one does it, take it back. If the third one
does it, take it back. If you don't want all the hassles of taking them
back, then buy a quality mower like an Exmark ZTR or such. Yes, you get
what you pay for.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

According to Consumer Reports the 'John Deere's sold by Lowes and Home
Depot are actually made by MTD.

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The only commonality I see in your description is that they mower starts
each time you charge the battery. Call the store and tell that you have a
battery issue and ask how they want to make it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Probably an electrical short somewhere, take it back.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

"Art" wrote in message
k.net...
According to Consumer Reports the 'John Deere's sold by Lowes and Home
Depot are actually made by MTD.

They may be. It is still recommended to go to a John Deere store to buy
one. That way if you have any problems with it, they will take care of it.
I was pleased with the repair service I got at the local Deere store. Thye
came and got it, repaired it, and delivered it in a timely manner. If you
get one somewhere else you have to worry with it if it is not working
correctly while under warrenty.