Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to stop glue drying in tube.

Recently I bought a tube of 'Liquid Nails' glue. After having used a
small amount of it, I pushed a nail into the dispenser end of the tube
to prevent it drying out.

About a week later I was unable to get any more glue to come out as it
had dried up.

Is there a good method of preventing the contents of 'tubed' products
like this from drying up?

You help will be appreciated.

Lewis.

******

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Not liquid nails, use it or lose it. I have gotten some life out of
half-use caulk by first only cutting small amount off of the tip. Then
when done for the day screw a good sized wirenut onto the end of the
tip. Not guaranteed, but sometimes preserves the tube.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie

Sometimes a small dab of Vaseline to seal the opening will work.
If you use this, remember to squeeze out the first little bit to get rid of
the any trace of the vaseline.

Charlie

wrote in message
oups.com...
Recently I bought a tube of 'Liquid Nails' glue. After having used a
small amount of it, I pushed a nail into the dispenser end of the tube
to prevent it drying out.

About a week later I was unable to get any more glue to come out as it
had dried up.

Is there a good method of preventing the contents of 'tubed' products
like this from drying up?

You help will be appreciated.

Lewis.

******

Posted to alt.home.repair
DiezMon

I gave up on the nail method.

What I do is wrap some clear packing tape around the tip so it makes a kind
of bubble around the opening. Then, squeeze some glue out to fill the
bubble. That little bubble will harden, and seal up the hole. Next time
you use it just twist off the tape and that bubble on the tip. Good as new.

I haven't had a tube go bad yet since doing it this way, and it doesn't
harden in the tip either. I've had a couple that have sat for months at a
time

Tim

wrote in message
oups.com...
Recently I bought a tube of 'Liquid Nails' glue. After having used a
small amount of it, I pushed a nail into the dispenser end of the tube
to prevent it drying out.

About a week later I was unable to get any more glue to come out as it
had dried up.

Is there a good method of preventing the contents of 'tubed' products
like this from drying up?

You help will be appreciated.

Lewis.

******

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Keiser

Saran doubled wrapped around the tip + wire twist tie for extra security
works for me.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim, that's a good idea, THANKS!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

Kind regards.

The key element being- get and keep air out of the tip, since that is what
sets off the drying action. For small expensive specialty glues, a big
baggie with all the air sucked out, and sometimes even storage in freezer,
prolongs the inevitable.

aem sends...

How much gap for glue for these joints....? bent Woodworking 16 February 26th 06 05:21 PM
Hide glue question Bill Woodworking 2 January 11th 06 10:05 PM
Replacing gunnel on my canoe (slightly OT) toller Woodworking 21 July 19th 04 05:21 AM
ARTICLE: The Truth About Polyurethane Glue J T Woodworking 5 July 18th 04 11:06 PM
What Type Glue Terry Kemmerer Woodworking 4 May 7th 04 06:21 PM