Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall Ceiling - Which Thickness ?

I am about to start a ceiling in the basement with drywall. Is there
an advantage in using 5/8 in rather than 1/2 in drywall ??
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

typically, 5/8" is used on ceilings because it is stiffer and will be
flatter. however, i have seen 1/2" used on ceilings successfully if the
joists are 16" on center or lesser.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. My Joists are spaced 16 in OC and I am planning on applying
the wallboard directly on the joists. From what i've seen in the rest
of the house , the Joists may not be level. If the 5/8 will help to
correct some of the problem, I'll go for it then. Is there any
advantage in stargering the joints? or just apply parpendicular to the
joists symmetrically ?

Thanks.

On 18 May 2006 17:49:07 -0700, "marson" wrote:

typically, 5/8" is used on ceilings because it is stiffer and will be
flatter. however, i have seen 1/2" used on ceilings successfully if the
joists are 16" on center or lesser.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
I am about to start a ceiling in the basement with drywall. Is there
an advantage in using 5/8 in rather than 1/2 in drywall ??
Thanks.

Most building codes require 5/8" for flame resistance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

wrote:
I am about to start a ceiling in the basement with drywall. Is there
an advantage in using 5/8 in rather than 1/2 in drywall ??

There are 1/2" boards specifically made for ceilings, such as
SHEETROCK® Brand 1/2" Interior Gypsum Ceiling Panels
http://tinyurl.com/m4j5k

Lighter weight so it's easier to install and it's stiffer than regular
1/2" rock. Good way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:48:43 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

I would suggest that if you really have joist that are not level, 5/8
will not fix that, you need to shim the joist to get it properly flat.

Do you mean to install shims between the joist and drywall as needed ?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88

I had can lights put in my kitchen this week (late '50's split level). The
ceiling was plaster OVER drywall. It was 7/8" thick. They also used
chicken wire in the corners. Just thought I'd share...

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can also use 1/2" high density board. Hand trowling will help hide
any defects as well and looks more professional in my opinion.