Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Default best glue for plexiglass

The back of a plexiglass item got smashed into several pieces. No one will
see it but for strength I'd like to glue the pieces back together. Any
recommendation for the best glue to us one plexiglass? It is dark grey
plexiglass.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
The back of a plexiglass item got smashed into several pieces. No one
will see it but for strength I'd like to glue the pieces back together.
Any recommendation for the best glue to us one plexiglass? It is dark
grey plexiglass.

This is one of the materials on which Krazy Glue actually works the way it's
supposed to.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Art wrote:
The back of a plexiglass item got smashed into several pieces. No one will
see it but for strength I'd like to glue the pieces back together. Any
recommendation for the best glue to us one plexiglass? It is dark grey
plexiglass.

If you are certain it IS Plexiglass (Trade name for one brand of acrylic
plastic.) then you will be best off to "solvent weld" it with methylene
chloride or a commercial solvent glue made for acrylics. That will give
you the strongest possible joint.

To solvent weld, you hold the broken edges together and wick some
solvent into the join with a syringe.

Just Google:

+"solvent weld" +plexiglass

and you'll find what you need.

If the piece ISN'T acrylic, then disregard the above and good luck to
you and the Red Sox.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

IIRC, plexiglas is best worked wth a solent thing, not a glue. A chain
around her, TAP Plastics, sells a 2 ozbottle of the solvent, alog with a
really cool applicatr op for the bottle. The applicator is sort of like a
hpodermic needle -- real thin and hollow inside, the solvent flows through
it.

I have no idea what the solvent is....try a walk through yur local Yellow
pages and look under plastics / plastic suppliers, and make a call.

Again, IIRC, MEK will also dthe trick, but I don't like messing with MEK and
don't recommend it. The stuff from TAP Plastics that I use does not smell
like MEK.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"Art" wrote in message
nk.net...
The back of a plexiglass item got smashed into several pieces. No one

will
see it but for strength I'd like to glue the pieces back together. Any
recommendation for the best glue to us one plexiglass? It is dark grey
plexiglass.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Art wrote:
The back of a plexiglass item got smashed into several pieces. No one will
see it but for strength I'd like to glue the pieces back together. Any
recommendation for the best glue to us one plexiglass? It is dark grey
plexiglass.

Art,

The replies you've gotten so far are just temp solutions to plexiglass
cracks. If neatness is no problem then I would suggest you repair it
the way we do on aircraft when the plexiglass windscreens get cracked
and we have to make temp repairs until a new one arrives for
installation. This is how we do that.

Cut a larger piece that will cover all the cracked areas. Use crazy
glue just to hold the pieces back in their original place. Place the
larger piece you cut over the cracked area and using a drill, drill
holes about two inches apart around the broken area and a few on any
broken pieces to hold them in place. You will need some screws/nuts
just long enough to go through the two layers of plexiglass and just
through the hole you drilled. Next put a bead of clear silicone around
the area that the new plexiglass piece will cover. This is to keep
water out if required. Next put the new plexiglass piece back over the
repair area and put all the screws/nuts in place with a washer on the
nut side. Don't over tighten or you might crack the plexiglass. This
type of repair has worked on aircraft windscreens (windshield) in excess
of 500 mph in rain. This is only a temp repair on aircraft but should
be permanent in your case.