Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Forming curves--Concrete

Hiya Folks,
Actually this isn't a concrete question but one pertaining to brick. But
either way, the question is the same. What do folks use for forming up
curves for instance in a sidewalk? Would 1/4" ply be flexible? The curve
really isn't that sharp but I'm not entirely sure what to use. HD and
Lowes really didn't have anything that looked flexible other than the 1/4"
ply (cut it into strips). I intend to mount this to stakes and screed my
basecourse for the pavers.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

Hiya Folks,
Actually this isn't a concrete question but one pertaining to brick. But
either way, the question is the same. What do folks use for forming up
curves for instance in a sidewalk? Would 1/4" ply be flexible? The curve
really isn't that sharp but I'm not entirely sure what to use. HD and
Lowes really didn't have anything that looked flexible other than the 1/4"
ply (cut it into strips). I intend to mount this to stakes and screed my
basecourse for the pavers.
Cheers,
cc

We usually use strips of cheap masonite siding. You can buy
them in 12' lengths (x 8" wide) and the backside is smooth.
They are very flexible. For those times when masonite is not
available, we use strips of 1/4" masonite. You can rip the
sheets down to whatever width you want. Our concrete products
supplier (RSS) sells masonite in 6 or 8" wide strips just for
this purpose.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

On Mon, 15 May 2006 22:38:53 -0600, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

Hiya Folks,
Actually this isn't a concrete question but one pertaining to brick. But
either way, the question is the same. What do folks use for forming up
curves for instance in a sidewalk? Would 1/4" ply be flexible? The curve
really isn't that sharp but I'm not entirely sure what to use. HD and
Lowes really didn't have anything that looked flexible other than the 1/4"
ply (cut it into strips). I intend to mount this to stakes and screed my
basecourse for the pavers.

1/4" ply will work fine. I use 1/2" for concrete. It holds the
curve better when the concrete starts pushing it. You don't have
to worry about that for pavers.

OTOH-- I use the plastic edging with 10" nail-like stakes for pavers.
The stuff I used last had premarked notches to cut out for different
radii. If you don't hold the edges with a weatherproof edging, I
don't know how long they'll remain tight.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
news
1/4" ply will work fine. I use 1/2" for concrete. It holds the
curve better when the concrete starts pushing it. You don't have
to worry about that for pavers.

OTOH-- I use the plastic edging with 10" nail-like stakes for pavers.
The stuff I used last had premarked notches to cut out for different
radii. If you don't hold the edges with a weatherproof edging, I
don't know how long they'll remain tight.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I've seen the plastic edging but I don't think it would work
for me in the preliminary stages anyway to set 4" of base and screed it
flat. The edging I've seen is 1 to 1-1/2" tall and I need more like 4" or
so. For edging of the pavers once their in, I intend to set bricks soldier
style.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

We usually use strips of cheap masonite siding. You can buy them in 12'
lengths (x 8" wide) and the backside is smooth. They are very flexible.
For those times when masonite is not available, we use strips of 1/4"
masonite. You can rip the sheets down to whatever width you want. Our
concrete products supplier (RSS) sells masonite in 6 or 8" wide strips
just for this purpose.

--
Robert Allison Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Thanks Robert. I haven't seen these in the local stores here but I've not
been looking for them either. I'll take a look today and see what I can
come up with. They would probably work just great.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

What do folks use for forming up curves for instance in a sidewalk?
Would 1/4" ply be flexible? The curve really isn't that sharp but I'm
not entirely sure what to use.

I used 3/8" ply to form the curves for my driveway. Then I sistered another
layer of ply and screwed them together

There is a curvable recycled plastic product they call benderboard (for
garden jobs) at HD