Posted to alt.home.repair
AJDupree

Default Olympic vs Pittsburgh Paints waterproofing toners/sealants for decks.

Both Olympic and Pittsburgh Paints are made/distributed by the same
company - PPG Architectural Finishes. We are having our deck
powerwashed and sealed and have been trying to decide what brand/tint
sealer to go with.

When we were in Lowes, they carry Olympic and we decided to go with the
Olympic Maximum Waterproofing Sealant in a cedar tint. It has UV
protection and has a 3-year protection warranty. It's about $25 per
gallon at Lowes.

But then we went to Menards to see what they have. They carry
Pittsburgh Paints Ultra Advanced Waterproofing Sealant in the exact
same tones/tints, with the exact same 3-year protection warranty. They
are both made by the same company - PPG. The PP Ultra sealant is
normally $19.88 per gallon, and thru the end of this month it is on
sale for $15.55 per gallon - a $10 savings over Lowes right now.

Are these basically the exact same thing, just sold under 2 different
brands to competing retailers? If the PP Ultra Advanced sealant is
identical to the Olympic Maximum, I'd just as soon save $10 per gallon
and tell our contractor to go get that.

I can't find a 1-800 number for PPG, just a webform to fill out. But I
need to call our contractor today to tell him what to get, and who
knows if they'd answer my webform question that quickly?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

AJDupree wrote:
[...]

I didn't know they were the same parent company - I have had good
results with Pittsburgh Paint manor hall line of paint. That would lead
me to trust in their other products as well.

As for outdoor products though - I have used, and been very happy with -
Sikkens products.
http://www.nam.sikkens.com/product.c..._category=deck

Posted to alt.home.repair
AJDupree

Well, I finally got a toll-free number for Pittsburgh Paints
(1-888-774-1010). The gentleman I spoke with confirmed that they ARE
indeed the exact same formulation/product. So I guess I'll go with the
PP at Menards and save myself $10/gallon!

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Default Olympic vs Pittsburgh Paints waterproofing toners/sealants for...

Probably same product

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

AJDupree wrote:
Well, I finally got a toll-free number for Pittsburgh Paints
(1-888-774-1010). The gentleman I spoke with confirmed that they ARE
indeed the exact same formulation/product. So I guess I'll go with the
PP at Menards and save myself $10/gallon!

NO! Lowes has a price-match plus 10% guarantee ! They will not only match
the price you found at Menards, but further reduce the price by 10% (the
trick is convincing them it is, indeed, the exact same product).