Posted to alt.home.repair
Ted Griffin

Default gas water heater frequent recycle

The first five or six months in our new home, whenever we took a shower
or washed dishes or whatever, the water heater (gas) would click on for
about ten minutes or so, in three minute intervals. More and more
lately, over the last few months, its been clicking on for maybe ten
minutes but in more and more erratic intervals, like sometimes a short
20 second interval, and then like a 2 minute one, and then 6 - 15 second
intervals in a row. Really weird. We've tried messing around with the
temperature a bit but it doesn't seem to affect it. Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Ted Griffin wrote:
The first five or six months in our new home, whenever we took a shower
or washed dishes or whatever, the water heater (gas) would click on for
about ten minutes or so, in three minute intervals. More and more
lately, over the last few months, its been clicking on for maybe ten
minutes but in more and more erratic intervals, like sometimes a short
20 second interval, and then like a 2 minute one, and then 6 - 15 second
intervals in a row. Really weird. We've tried messing around with the
temperature a bit but it doesn't seem to affect it. Any ideas?

Does the control look like:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05274.html

(That deals with a recall. Those controls don't usually
cycle frequently; they have a wide hysteresis. If you have
a Power Vent or Direct Vent a different control would be used.)

Is the heater still under warranty?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Should still be under warranty. Get the model and serial # and call
the manufacturer. Sounds like a bad valve/control unit, which is
pretty easy to replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

If you still get hot water when you need it, I wouldn't worry about it. You
may just be paying too much attention.

"Ted Griffin" wrote in message
. net...
The first five or six months in our new home, whenever we took a shower or
washed dishes or whatever, the water heater (gas) would click on for about
ten minutes or so, in three minute intervals. More and more lately, over
the last few months, its been clicking on for maybe ten minutes but in
more and more erratic intervals, like sometimes a short 20 second
interval, and then like a 2 minute one, and then 6 - 15 second intervals
in a row. Really weird. We've tried messing around with the temperature
a bit but it doesn't seem to affect it. Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

warranty covers parts only usually Its a PIA changing the thermostat.
need wrench big enough to fit over thermostat size