Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Weiss

Default Drain Pop Up

Any help with fixing one of these, please? The drain pop-up comes off
almost weekly. Sometimes with cleaning the sink, sometimes just does it on
it's own. I then have to fiddle with the damned thing to get it back on the
metal rod. That's a hassle in itself. Usually have to do it again in
another week.

I'm tempted just to leave it off, but shoving the pop-up down to take out my
contacts, then prying it up to brush my teeth is getting old.

I looked under the sink to where the rod comes out -- looks like there might
be a way to jam that rod in farther once I get it reconnected. Good idea or
no?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unless it is worn out (which I doubt) It sounds like it needs to be
adjusted right so it doesn't disconnect.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

You should not be able to get the pop-up hooked back on the metal rod
without removing the rod from the drain under the sink. Sometimes the
hole in the pop-up is offset, if so it should be installed so the tab
with the hole in it is closer to the back of the sink.

You should be able to remove the retaining nut for the rod and slide it
back far enough to get the pop-up installed properly.

I've never tried shoving the rod further along the little ball it
pivots on but it would probably work. I would not try doing this with
it assembled, you could easily break the drain pipes even if they are
metal. Heres a pictu

http://www.hometips.com/content/popups_intro.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Jim Weiss wrote:
Any help with fixing one of these, please? The drain pop-up comes off
almost weekly. Sometimes with cleaning the sink, sometimes just does
it on it's own. I then have to fiddle with the damned thing to get
it back on the metal rod. That's a hassle in itself. Usually have
to do it again in another week.

I'm tempted just to leave it off, but shoving the pop-up down to take
out my contacts, then prying it up to brush my teeth is getting old.

I looked under the sink to where the rod comes out -- looks like
there might be a way to jam that rod in farther once I get it
reconnected. Good idea or no?

Thanks!

If I am guessing right about the parts you are talking about, the metal
rod from the drain goes through a hole in a metal strip that is connected to
a handle that you pull up or push down on the sink. If that is so you
should have some sort of clamp that holds the two together. I have seen
types that use a screw to secure the two together or a bent piece of spring
steel with a hold at each end, to do the job.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit