Posted to alt.home.repair
canasta

Default sooty smell

My central heating and hot water boiler for my private apartment is
producing a sooty smell that smarts on the eyes.
I have it cleaned twice in last 6 months - both times it had a LOT of
soot and took an age to clean. Last week we had the flue cleaned and
had a small amount of soot in it.
Still the problem persists so we took decision to replace it. Problem
I have is that the engineer cannot replace it for two weeks - I'm
reluctant to let anybody else do it as he has done other work for me
that was first class.

So...question
Sooty smell - making eyes slightly water - is this carbon monoxide?
Is it dangerous?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Why are you asking here, go buy a Co alarm, a unit with digital read
out, like KIDD that remembers-holds peak readings, even small amounts
are bad, amounts less then the alarm range to set it off. It stinks, its
bad, don`t run it, its that simple. Plug in electric heaters or put on
sweaters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

"canasta" wrote:

My central heating and hot water boiler for my private apartment is
producing a sooty smell that smarts on the eyes.
I have it cleaned twice in last 6 months - both times it had a LOT of
soot and took an age to clean. Last week we had the flue cleaned and
had a small amount of soot in it.

-snip-
Sooty smell - making eyes slightly water - is this carbon monoxide?
Is it dangerous?

Well, no. . . CO is odorless. BUT! If your furnace is running
that poorly, it most certainly is producing a lot of CO. If you
can smell other byproducts of combustion then it is likely that CO is
present in the living areas.

What does the digital CO detector say? [$40 at the home center.
Required by law in more and more municipalities. You are foolish if
you don't have one.]

And aside from the CO- the other danger is that your furnace might
start your house on fire. As long as you are well insured and there
is nothing in the house that you care about, that isn't a big problem.

[What I'm saying is- "Turn the furnace off NOW."]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Jim Elbrecht says...

"canasta" wrote:

[...]

Yep. Get CO detector, and write the landlord invoking all the habitability
statements that a lawyer can muster for you (try without the lawyer first - just
talk to him or her while calling any local renter's rights organizations, but
most likely you have local ordinances protecting you in this regard).

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

wrote:

-snip-
Yep. Get CO detector, and write the landlord invoking all the habitability
statements that a lawyer can muster for you (try without the lawyer first - just
talk to him or her while calling any local renter's rights organizations, but
most likely you have local ordinances protecting you in this regard).

Scarey part is- it appears that the poster *is* the landlord. He/she
has been hiring folks-- and canastahotel.com is a UK Hotel.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Jim Elbrecht says...

wrote:

-snip-
Yep. Get CO detector, and write the landlord invoking all the habitability
statements that a lawyer can muster for you (try without the lawyer first - just
talk to him or her while calling any local renter's rights organizations, but
most likely you have local ordinances protecting you in this regard).

Scarey part is- it appears that the poster *is* the landlord. He/she
has been hiring folks-- and canastahotel.com is a UK Hotel.

Jim

Hopefully the rooms have CO detectors!

If you're right, then the solution is to move out (go to a hotel room!) and fix
it. Period. Don't cheap out.

Banty