Posted to alt.home.repair
sstultz213

Default Air Handlers --- Help Please!!!

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this and assist me. I
am getting ready to completly replace my entire heating and cooling
system in my home. I have a bi-level home(so basically it is one
level with a finished basement), it is 1500 square feet and all
electric. I also should probably mention I have severe allergies so
that is playing a large role in my decision.

So, far I have received two quotes. The first was from Carrier. They
recommended that I get a 13 SEER Heatpump since myhome is all
electric and then get a variable speed air handler. He also
recommended that I get a humidifier and just use the same air filter
that is currently in my home.

The next offer was from Trane. They receommeded that I get a 13 SEER
heatpump and to get Trane CleanEffects (their new air filitration
system), a humidifier, and not to get a variable spped air handler.
When I asked the Trane dealer why he said that with the size of my
home and the money that I would be spending for one he didnt think
that I would be able to recoup my costs by getting one.

I have been researching all over the internet and I still feel lost as
to if I should get a variable speed air handler or not. I mean I will
probably only stay in the home for about 10 year (no more...probably
less). But, I want a good system for myself and for future owners.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am very new to all
of this.

Thanks,
Steph

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Does Trane make a VS air handler? You will get a payback, do the math
but get the 10yr warranty, You can also get more comfort with VSDC
running on low to remove apx 50% more humidity with minimal cooling.
Last I heard the trend for electricity was up, so your payback will be
shorter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RP

"sstultz213" wrote in message
[...]

If both systems are 13 SEER, then the statement about recouping cost of
variable speed is out of place. IOW, they will use exactly the same
amount of electricity over their lifetimes. And 13 SEER is the current
minimum efficiency rating. Given the choice between variable speed and
fixed speed, the decision boils down to whether you want
dehumidification capabilities or not. If the variable speed cost a bit
more, then it's up to you to decide whether you want to pay the extra to
actually be comfortable. OTOH, a variable speed motor doesn't
necessarily mean that you'll have true variable speed capability. Some
systems incorporate the variable speed motor only because it is more
energy efficient (at constant speed) than the fixed speed motor. In
order to decide you'll need to check with the Carrier dealer and ask
them whether the system comes with a thermidistat and dehumidification
option.

Richard Perry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

sstultz213 wrote:

[...]

Depending on how it's setup a variable speed air handler could be
helpful for allergies by allowing for continuous air filtration at a
lower speed than the normal heat/cool airflow. It's not something that
will save money, in fact it would cost more to run and you'd have to
replace filters more often, but it could be a significant help for
allergies.

During mild weather when there is no call for heating or cooling I find
I have to manually turn on the fan in my air handler to get filtration
and keep down dust and cat dander (moderate allergy). I'm rather
surprised that no thermostat I've seen has a function to insure regular
air filtration during times with no heating or cooling demand.

An electrostatic precipitator type air cleaner would also be a very good
idea. Note that this is they type that has a metal plate collection grid
and a high voltage power supply, not the "electrostatic" air filters
that look remarkably like ordinary spun or woven air filters.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

sstultz213 writes:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am very new to all
of this.

They are trying to "upsell" you with gimmicks. The HVAC equivalent of
pinstriping and undercoating at the new car dealer. (Maybe you bought
those?) These guys go to school to learn these tricks.

Keep shopping. You may get lucky and find somebody offering a basic
system, which is all you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sstultz213

m Ransleywrote:
Does Trane make a VS air handler? You will get a payback, do the
math
but get the 10yr warranty, You can also get more comfort with VSDC
running on low to remove apx 50% more humidity with minimal

cooling.
Last I heard the trend for electricity was up, so your payback will

be
shorter.

Trane does sell a VS air handler. The sales person told me that it
would probably cost about $800 to $1200 more to upgrage to the
variable speed air handler with Trane. Also, what to VSDC stand for?
I mean I know VS is variable speed but I am not sure about the DC
part.

I appreciate all of you suggestions.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Variable Speed Direct Current, and you will save winter and summer, its
your Air Handler, not your 13 seer HP.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30

FWIW, I have installed one CleanEffects filter so far. From what I have
heard, the customers are pleased with it. As for VS, the do draw
somewhat less current, but given their cost, the payback time is fairly
long. The main advantage IMO is comfort, mainly due to better
dehumidification, and low noise levels. RP is correct in that they are
now making a DC motor that is similar to a VS, only is not VS. I have
installed a couple of Tranes with them. Don't know about Carrier. I
really do not understand the rationale behind them--Looks like about 90%
of the cost of a true VS with about 10% of the benefit. Personally I
would go with a Trane VS, CleanEffects for your allergies, and
definitely a 10 yr P&L warranty. Good luck Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
sstultz213

I just wanted to thank everyone who has provided feedback thus far.
It is very much appreciated as it is really helping me with my
decision.

Thanks again,
Stephanie

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Starrin

On Wed, 10 May 2006 17:02:56 GMT, lid (sstultz213) wrote:

I just wanted to thank everyone who has provided feedback thus far.
It is very much appreciated as it is really helping me with my
decision.

Missing from your original post was any idea of where you live,
climate. etc.
In any case, all the research I did before I had a Trane 16i HP
installed said ensure you have the air handler installed which is
compatable with/designed for your outside unit; i.e. install it as a
system.
Your prospective contractor should do/have done a Manual J to properly
size the system to your house/conditions---maybe a manual D, too. If
they didn't/won't, find someone else
Don't have real allergy problems so I mostly just use the better
pleated replaceable filters. (Did find however, that if they system
had been off for several days at this time of year due no demand for
heating/cooling, my nose started to twitch a bit. I simply set the
variable speed blower to "ON" at the t-stat and that took care of the
problem. My biggest problem with this is that I kept forgetting it
was on because I couldn't hear it).
I live in Virginia Beach. The heat pump replaced a 33 y.o. Sears AC
unit. The house was otherwise heated by oil fired hot water
baseboards. The HP system is about 1.5 years old. Duean intermittent
control problem which only affected heatring, it took us a helluva
long time to troubleshoot the intermittent problem/short in an
internal connecting cable. So, I have only date for last summer and
this winter.
It just so happens that the hottest month of the last summer was
coincident with my electric bill month. My electrict bill went down
$60 from the prior year.
This past winter I set up a rule of thumb for me that if the outside
temperature was below (or going to go below) 35 degrees, I turned off
the HP and turned on the boiler. I burned 50 gallons of oil between
the October and the February fill when I might have been expected to
burn 2-300 gallons. My electric bill went up about $25-$30/month.
So, it's a trade off.
If you talk to TRANE , see about their rebates and insist on the 10
year warranty. Because of a quirk in their system, they paid me to
put in their best thermostat.
Your mileage will certainly vary (but, if you have any specific
questions, enail me)
Roy