DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stucco maintenance question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/156672-stucco-maintenance-question.html)

Kurt Gavin May 8th 06 07:55 PM

Stucco maintenance question

Our stucco house is about three years old and there are hairline + width
cracks in places.

What's the best way of dealing with these? Use a caulk gun to squeeze some
grout, or whatever, into them? Is there a special grout for this?

Thanks

PipeDown May 8th 06 08:15 PM

Stucco maintenance question

Caulk would be better than grout because the cracks will likely move a
little in the future, you can really only patch at the surface of a hairline
crack. Are they along the line of the foundation. I have a line at the top
and bottom of the sill plate, which is very common in No. CA earthquake
country. Use latex painters caulk (like Alex plus) and rub it in with a
wet rag or finger then paint over it.

If it were bigger you should use a stucco mix as a patch, quickcrete makes a
small bag with fiberglass reinforcement mixed in.

.net...

Oren May 8th 06 08:56 PM

Stucco maintenance question

On Mon, 08 May 2006 18:55:19 GMT, "Kurt Gavin"
wrote:

Our stucco house is about three years old and there are hairline + width
cracks in places.

What's the best way of dealing with these? Use a caulk gun to squeeze some
grout, or whatever, into them? Is there a special grout for this?

Thanks

I've never in my entire life gotten any grout from a caulk gun.

HD, tile section has a small container of stucco mix, pre-mixed...get
a quart. Hands and fingers work well for me, put some on and
blend/feather in the cracks.....never over do it.

I also use a "sealer" - some can cover hairline cracks, DAP
elastomeric caulk applied with a fine tip works well (blend into
stucco texture). prime and paint.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

Joshua Putnam May 9th 06 04:34 AM

Stucco maintenance question

In article ,
says...
Our stucco house is about three years old and there are hairline + width
cracks in places.

What's the best way of dealing with these? Use a caulk gun to squeeze some
grout, or whatever, into them? Is there a special grout for this?

You don't mention where you are, what climate you're in, or what's
under the stucco. If you're in a damp climate, I would suggest
calling a professional to make sure this gets fixed properly -- if a
quick fix lets water seep in for the next few years, you'll spend far
more on rot repair than you would have on a professional repair.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/