Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

Default Installation of recessed light from attic

Looking to install recessed lighting from the attic.

Using the follow products:

Metal Box surround
Halo
Coding is H99ICTJ

Cool Blue II vapour barrier
Approved for use with Halo recessed lighting fixtures for insulated
ceilings
Exceeds 90 degrees code requirements
Cooper Lighting VBB-2

Questions a
1. Anyone have any info on the Cool Blue?
2. What to use to seal the Cool Blue down to the vapour barrier? I was
going to use acoustic sealer but reading the label it says it
flamable. Would this be a problem?
3. Recommend not using Cool Blue? Metal cans are suppose to be airtight
but I find this hard to believe.

Much thanks for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

On 6 May 2006 22:59:32 -0700, "Jack" wrote:

Looking to install recessed lighting from the attic.

Using the follow products:

Metal Box surround
Halo
Coding is H99ICTJ

Cool Blue II vapour barrier
Approved for use with Halo recessed lighting fixtures for insulated
ceilings
Exceeds 90 degrees code requirements
Cooper Lighting VBB-2

Questions a
1. Anyone have any info on the Cool Blue?
2. What to use to seal the Cool Blue down to the vapour barrier? I was
going to use acoustic sealer but reading the label it says it
flamable. Would this be a problem?
3. Recommend not using Cool Blue? Metal cans are suppose to be airtight
but I find this hard to believe.

Much thanks for your help.

imho:

I'm referencing, 2005 410.66(a-b).

If the light is rated IC, you can have combusible materials right in
contact with it, even where portions pass through openings. This
suggest that a vapor barrior can run around the housing, as close as
possible.

Now if it's NON-IC, then you need to maintain a 1/2" clearance from
any combusible materials. Whiich isn't too much a problem, since
insulation needs to 3" away, and your vapor barrior was meant to
protect the insulation only.

Remember, always check all codes, even local, and use only qualified
electricicians for electrical work.

hth,

tom @ www.consolidated-loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking to install recessed lighting from the attic.

Using the follow products:

Metal Box surround
Halo
Coding is H99ICTJ

Cool Blue II vapour barrier
Approved for use with Halo recessed lighting fixtures for insulated
ceilings
Exceeds 90 degrees code requirements
Cooper Lighting VBB-2

Questions a
1. Anyone have any info on the Cool Blue?
2. What to use to seal the Cool Blue down to the vapour barrier? I was
going to use acoustic sealer but reading the label it says it
flamable. Would this be a problem?
3. Recommend not using Cool Blue? Metal cans are suppose to be airtight
but I find this hard to believe.

Much thanks for your help.

From the Halo catalog: "The H99ICT is an AIR-TITE fixture sealed and
gasketed to prevent airflow between plenum spaces and heated areas". I have
never heard of "Cool Blue" and was not able to find it on the Cooper web
site. Can you provide a link?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

Update

I emailed Cooper and they replied back:

This VBB2 is made for the Canadian Market.
You install it first to the underside on the roof trusses by using
staples.
The IC rated fixture is then installed into the opening.
The fixture is wired and the entry into the boot is then sealed with
sealant
or red duct tape.
You vapour barrier film is then seal to the bottom surface of the
vapour
boot with sealant or red deduct tape.
Blue boot can come in full contact with the outer housing because it
does
not exceed 90 degree Celsius.

RBM remove this:
Yes there was a gasket for the light opening, however the gasket only
has glue on one side and I don't think it's going to make a tight seal
if it doesn't snug up against the drywall board. You would think that
there would be a way to forced down the housing into the ceiling
drywall to make that tight fit.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Funny:How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb? Paul UK diy 3 December 21st 05 11:05 AM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM
strange problem connecting light to dimmer John Hunter Home Repair 6 January 19th 04 07:57 PM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM
Light Bulb Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 19 December 10th 03 03:28 AM