Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Sign wood

I want to make some outdoor signs for my cabin. The letters would be routed
into the wood. Some of these will be under the porch, exposed to the
weather, but not the rain or snow. Others will be out in the sun, rain, and
snow 24/7/365.

What would be a good choice of woods for this? They don't have to last
forever, but would like for them to at least last for a few years, and
realize I will have to paint them probably every two to three years. Plain
pine? Cedar one by's? Preferably something not too hard to get here in Las
Vegas at the Borg, or up in Utah at a lumber yard.

BTW, what would be a good choice of paint? Just a good latex?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Steve B writes:

I want to make some outdoor signs for my cabin.

http://www.beacongraphics.com/fiber-brite.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve B" wrote in message
I want to make some outdoor signs for my cabin. The letters would be
routed into the wood. Some of these will be under the porch, exposed to
the weather, but not the rain or snow. Others will be out in the sun,
rain, and snow 24/7/365.

What would be a good choice of woods for this? BTW, what would be a good
choice of paint? Just a good latex?

Painted, any wood should last 20 to 50 years or more. Outdoor latex would
be OK, but in the letters, a nice bright enamel may work best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make them from Redwood.They will look good and will last a lifetime.
Mellowing as the years go by. Is also easy to work with.
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

RicodJour wrote:
Steve B wrote:

I want to make some outdoor signs for my cabin. The letters would be routed
into the wood. Some of these will be under the porch, exposed to the
weather, but not the rain or snow. Others will be out in the sun, rain, and
snow 24/7/365.

What would be a good choice of woods for this? They don't have to last
forever, but would like for them to at least last for a few years, and
realize I will have to paint them probably every two to three years. Plain
pine? Cedar one by's? Preferably something not too hard to get here in Las
Vegas at the Borg, or up in Utah at a lumber yard.

BTW, what would be a good choice of paint? Just a good latex?

If you're going to paint them, why not use some expanded PVC
wood-substitute like Azek?

Yes, if to be painted, use a synthetic. Some have very realistic wood
grain finishes that when painted are detectable ONLY to experts.

Otherwise, Redwood is a good choice as are cedar and cypress. All will
be VERY durable if stained and varnished. Redwood and Cypress will not
need staining and varnishing, although they will look better longer if
you do stain/varnish.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Steve B wrote:
I want to make some outdoor signs for my cabin. The letters would be
routed into the wood. Some of these will be under the porch, exposed
to the weather, but not the rain or snow. Others will be out in the
sun, rain, and snow 24/7/365.

What would be a good choice of woods for this? They don't have to
last forever, but would like for them to at least last for a few
years, and realize I will have to paint them probably every two to
three years. Plain pine? Cedar one by's? Preferably something not
too hard to get here in Las Vegas at the Borg, or up in Utah at a
lumber yard.
BTW, what would be a good choice of paint? Just a good latex?

Teak.

The Battleship Texas (launched May 18th, 1912), last of the Dreadnought
class, has decks of teak that are still there.