DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/155894-day-without-illegal-immigrant.html)

Doug Miller May 4th 06 12:00 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

In article , "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

The point is it is a bad hateful fearful decision.

Nonsense.

Please explain how wanting to make sure that the people who come here are
employed (or at least employable), and do not have criminal records, is "a bad
hateful fearful decision".

--
Regards,

Doug Kanter May 4th 06 12:14 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

"ameijers" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
(snip)
Some of your category descriptions are too vague. Druggies? If you kid
was
going to college to learn broadcasting, and was offered a job in Rush
Limbaugh's studio, can I assume you would not allow this because Rush is
drug addict? Immoral? Would you let your kid work as an intern with some

of
our congressmen, knowing that at any moment, you'd probably read that
they
were being indicted for one thing or another? What makes you think a

Mexican
in a top-notch restaurant kitchen fits any of your labels?

Quit trying to put words in my mouth, Doug- I said or implied nothing of
the
kind. Being the offspring of immigrants, I am quite familiar with the
nose-in-the-air condescending attitude of some Nth generation whitebreads.

I have absolutely no problems with Mexicans, Hispanics, or any other
ethnic
group of self-or-externally identified name. As a kid working
construction,
I crossed paths with lots of Spanish-speaking casual labor and tradesmen.
don't speak Spanish, many of them spoke little English, but as far as I
know, we got along fine. I was just the kid humping supplies, or picking
up
trash. Most of them made me look bad with the amount of work they turned
out. As to your other examples, you know bloody well what I meant- street
people of whatever background or ethnicity- the ones that regard a new
teenager on the block as fresh meat. The type of people who could put a
gullible kid at risk with proximity to violence, recreational
pharmecuticals, disease vectors related to drug use or coerced sex, ad
infinitum. Of course white collar druggies and corrupt politicians are
scum,
but they are far less likely to put a kid at actual risk, with the
occasional exceptions like the young lady Teddy drove off a bridge. The
risk
could be offset by the education of seeing how success means more than
money, and even famous people can do stupid things.

aem sends...

I think white collar druggies are MORE dangerous than street people. To the
impressionable (i.e.: kids), they make it seem that you can do dangerous
things to yourself and still be successful.

Joseph Meehan May 4th 06 12:26 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:

The point is it is a bad hateful fearful decision.

Nonsense.

Please explain how wanting to make sure that the people who come here
are
employed (or at least employable), and do not have criminal records,
is "a bad
hateful fearful decision".

It seems to me that I have seen many reports that the common view is
they want to find and send back anyone, including those employed who are
here without permission.

I wonder if it would not be a good idea to put a fence around Iowa and
require the same kind of documentation?

How about your city. Would you support a law that no one with a
criminal record as a pedophile would be allowed in and make sure that anyone
who is not already there provide proof at the city limits that they don't
have such a record?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Jim Yanik May 4th 06 12:47 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

(Doug Miller) wrote in
. net:

In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:

The point is it is a bad hateful fearful decision.

Nonsense.

Please explain how wanting to make sure that the people who come here
are employed (or at least employable), and do not have criminal
records, is "a bad hateful fearful decision".

Also to insure no communicable diseases.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik May 4th 06 12:48 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:

The point is it is a bad hateful fearful decision.

Nonsense.

Please explain how wanting to make sure that the people who come here
are
employed (or at least employable), and do not have criminal records,
is "a bad
hateful fearful decision".

It seems to me that I have seen many reports that the common view
is
they want to find and send back anyone, including those employed who
are here without permission.

YES;no rewarding violation of our immigration policy and LAWS.

What part of that don't you understand?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik May 4th 06 12:50 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

wrote in :

On 3 May 2006 16:13:47 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

That is the crux of the debate;Does the US get to determine who it will
allow to immigrate to or work in the US?

Or is it just anything goes.(open borders)

I gave you all a reasonable compromise. Let the IRS decide who stays
and who goes. Those are the guys who can follow the money, make people
pay their taxes and find the real "illegals" the employers who pay
under the table.

That is NOT a "reasonable" compromise.
NO reward for breaking our immigration laws.
NO compromise on breaking our immigration laws.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik May 4th 06 12:51 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

wrote in :

On Wed, 03 May 2006 05:26:05 GMT, Ernie Klein
wrote:

I find it interesting that the same liberals who love unions also love
the immigrants.

I guess I must really confuse you. I am a conservative who is not a
big union fan (they promote mediocrity) but I support immigraiton for
anyone who will work and pay taxes.

Only when they enter the country LEGALLY.

They are not stealing anyone's job. Our kids refuse to take those
jobs.

Still NO reason to abandon our immigration laws or policies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

BobK207 May 4th 06 01:33 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

Doug Kanter wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...

..................Some crops cannot be harvested by machines. If they
could be, the machines would exist. .............

not if the current alternative is cheaper, if I can have fruit hand
picked for less than the ammortized cost of a machine then there is no

ines

for harvesting strawberries is due to the fact that there's no demand for
them yet?

In that time period, farmers have immediately embraced machinery,
regardless of labor costs.

must have been their altruistic side making those decisions

No, but I suspect that the reasons *could* be psychological in nature. I
know about a dozen farmers, and most of them share an interesting trait with
home gardeners: A preference for working alone. A machine eliminates dealing
with the annoyances of supervising employees.

just like people in SoCal stopped mowing their own lawns, because it
wasn't worth their time.

If the illegals disappeared, lawn mowing would become more costly and
some people would pay more for legals, some would mow their own, some
would replace their lawns with low maint gardens.

it's all about choices, "economic" choices (even if the folks making
the choice fail to see it) time vs money; DIY or job it
out.........millions & millions of choices

and the illegal alien pool of cheap labor skew the choices in favor of
labor over alternatives

but it seems like I won't be able to convince you.........

Here, I'll repeat my question: Why have so many crops been harvested
exclusively by machine, as far back as the 1940s? It's more than the novelty
of the machines, or a casual choice on the part of farmers.

Here, I'll repeat my question: Why have so many crops been

harvested
exclusively by machine, as far back as the 1940s? It's more than the
novelty
of the machines, or a casual choice on the part of farmers

I repeat my answer..............because it makes Economic sense!

that is why things are done the way they are done in the business
world.

No, but I suspect that the reasons *could* be psychological in nature. I
know about a dozen farmers, and most of them share an interesting trait with
home gardeners: A preference for working alone. A machine eliminates dealing
with the annoyances of supervising employees.

And the "cost" of dealing with employees is weighed along with other
cost asssociated with labor against the cost of machine usage.

Mechanically pruned & harvested fruit took off in the 60's when the
Bracero program was ended.

Robot vacuums & lawn mowers exist (pioneer compaines.......very little
demad, yet)

cheers
Bob

BobK207 May 4th 06 01:42 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

wrote:
On Wed, 03 May 2006 18:11:11 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

But, I'm positive that if they
came up with a strawberry with a skin tough enough to resist mechanical
damage, you would stop buying strawberries.

That is exactly what is going on with "grocery store tomatoes"
They made a fruit tough enough for machine handling and shipping but
it is not fit to eat. Florida is looking into machine harvested
oranges but that will require replanting all the groves with different
spacing between the trees and perhaps a different hybrid of the fruit.
God only know how horrible they will taste.

actually I happen to know quite a bit about strawberries

Nearly all the currently commerically grwon strawberries are the result
of the work of the UC Irvine agriculterual extension research farm in
Irvine/Tustin CA

A yes they are resonsible for "shift" towards berries that handle well,
look good & grow big.....taste is not as good as older varieties but
the researchers are continuosuly working on developing the super berry

one that satisfies all requirements, thye'll eventually get one, I have
faith in them

I grow my own tomatoes (pear, grape, romas & ; buy my strawberries from
road side stands (where they grow "untransportable" berries

The market will deliver that which people are willing to buy.

cheers

btw commercial oranges now are pretty tasteless, I doubt the machine
oranges will be much worse. But they'll improve if the market wants a
better one.

cheers
Bob

Robert May 4th 06 02:47 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Bee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you.

I don't care what country you come from, IF you come here legally.
Secondly, let's not forget that this is not -only- about the Mexicans
coming here illegally, but all who are entering this country illegally.
If 12 million Mexicans can "sneak" into this country, who else is
getting in illegally? If Bush is so concerned about terrorism, why
isn't this problem higher on his terrorism list?

Because Bush is incompetent. This country needs a manager with a track
record of success, and the ability to brutally manhandle, chew up and spit
out those who would distract him/her from what's important.

Who do you suggest?

Doug Kanter May 4th 06 02:58 AM

"Bee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you.

I don't care what country you come from, IF you come here legally.
Secondly, let's not forget that this is not -only- about the Mexicans
coming here illegally, but all who are entering this country illegally.
If 12 million Mexicans can "sneak" into this country, who else is
getting in illegally? If Bush is so concerned about terrorism, why
isn't this problem higher on his terrorism list?

Because Bush is incompetent. This country needs a manager with a track
record of success, and the ability to brutally manhandle, chew up and
spit
out those who would distract him/her from what's important.

Who do you suggest?

Someone like William Swanson, CEO of Raytheon, or Jack Welch. Maybe Carly
Fiorina, although critics of Hewlett-Packard have bad things to say about
her.

For decades now, the White House has been influenced by dilettantes like the
******s who cooked up the domino theory. We need a president who has a plan
and a vision, and is willing to have such idiots physically removed from his
office, using violence if necessary. That's what bodyguards are for. In the
list of wackos to be ejected, we can include anyone with even a hint of
religious motivation behind their suggestions. This country is a business,
not a ****ing church committee.

Doug Kanter May 4th 06 02:59 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message
[...]

What percentage of California strawberries would you estimate are HARVESTED
by machines?

George E. Cawthon May 4th 06 06:26 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

Doug Kanter wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

"BobK207" wrote in message
egroups.com...

..................Some crops cannot be harvested by machines. If they
could be, the machines would exist. .............

not if the current alternative is cheaper, if I can have fruit hand
picked for less than the ammortized cost of a machine then there is no
incentive for such a machine to exist.

. ......No machine will harvest them safely, at least not until
robotics are much further along. A long list of other crops are also
too delicate for anything but human handling......

Again at what relative cost?

as long as we have artificially cheap labor innovation in those fields
will be stunted

no machine could ever fly,
one could ever fly faster than the speed of sound,
it would be impossbile to send a man to the moon & return safely
how could one ever operate on a persons heart
active suspension in a production automobile? too expensive!

what else do we put on the list?

The combine was invented in the late 1940s. There was plenty of cheap
labor available at the time, as there has been ever since. In that time
period, farmers have immediately embraced machinery, regardless of labor
costs. There are benefits which go beyond human labor costs.

I don't think you can support those statements. There were numerous
reasons that agriculture was mechanized--the war reduced the available
labor, the mass movement toward the cities, the consolidation of farms
into bigger units, the change from the "family farm" to farming as a
business, the change in machinery available etc.

This still doesn't explain why we don't have machines to harvest
strawberries and quite a few other crops. Just to be sure we're on the same
page here, do you believe the reason is that there's no demand for them?

No to the last. The reason is probably economics,
cheaper to pay labor than to develop, buy, and
maintain machines. Also the way they are grown
would probably have to change and could increase
costs. It certainly isn't because the
strawberries are delicate. Recent ones that I ate
were nearly as hard as apples.

Doug Kanter May 4th 06 11:08 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
wrote in
:

wrote:

I find it interesting that the same liberals who love unions also love
the immigrants.

I guess I must really confuse you. I am a conservative who is not a
big union fan (they promote mediocrity) but I support immigraiton for
anyone who will work and pay taxes.

Only when they enter the country LEGALLY.

They are not stealing anyone's job. Our kids refuse to take those
jobs.

Still NO reason to abandon our immigration laws or policies.

I'm wondering if there have been social & economic changes in this country
which might point to a change in some laws. I haven't had coffee yet, so
this might be a silly idea.

Doug Kanter May 4th 06 11:38 AM

Doug Kanter wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

"BobK207" wrote in message
legroups.com...

[...]

Farmers don't develop the machinery, and farm equipment manufacturers don't
pay farm laborers. But, never mind. I'm doing some research that should
interest you. I'll get back to you later about which crops are NOW harvested
by machines (or not).

Joseph Meehan May 4th 06 12:09 PM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:

The point is it is a bad hateful fearful decision.

Nonsense.

Please explain how wanting to make sure that the people who come
here are
employed (or at least employable), and do not have criminal records,
is "a bad
hateful fearful decision".

It seems to me that I have seen many reports that the common
view is
they want to find and send back anyone, including those employed who
are here without permission.

YES;no rewarding violation of our immigration policy and LAWS.

What part of that don't you understand?

Let's back up a little. Why do you want those immigration laws that
keep out others.

Let's take that issue a little further and look at part of my message
you sniped

Joseph Meehan May 4th 06 12:14 PM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

You analogy does not apply. The line at the grocery store is
real, the
waiting list for entry into the US is a political decision to
satisfy those who hate and fear those who are different.

But that list is STILL **OUR** decision to make and implement.
Not foreigners.

The point is it is a bad hateful fearful decision.

No,it is not.

Why do you think it is not?

Looking at
history,
time and time again when two groups have merged, they both gained.
I wonder how Germany would have made out if they did not decide that
they had to maintain their pure race and exterminate others.

Invalid comparison.

Really?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Doug Miller May 4th 06 12:39 PM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

In article , "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:

The point is it is a bad hateful fearful decision.

Nonsense.

Please explain how wanting to make sure that the people who come here
are
employed (or at least employable), and do not have criminal records,
is "a bad
hateful fearful decision".

It seems to me that I have seen many reports that the common view is
they want to find and send back anyone, including those employed who are
here without permission.

Yep.

You still don't get it. The point is that when they come in without the proper
documentation, we can't do the background checks necessary to make sure that
they're not criminals.

I wonder if it would not be a good idea to put a fence around Iowa and
require the same kind of documentation?

I guess that's up to the citizens of Iowa.

How about your city. Would you support a law that no one with a
criminal record as a pedophile would be allowed in and make sure that anyone
who is not already there provide proof at the city limits that they don't
have such a record?

Sure. Why not?

--
Regards,

[email protected] May 4th 06 01:30 PM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

hey make every illegal go away.

do know food will be much more costly

homes will cost more

many business will leave the US altogether for cheaper contries...

our economy will falter

big business will be unhappy

this is why nearly no one talks about deporting them all, just stopping
future ones...

Stan May 4th 06 02:06 PM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

"KC" wrote in message
May 01, 2006, 7:08 a.m.
A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant
An imaginary exercise.
By Tom Tancredo

What would a day without illegal aliens really be like? Let's try to
imagine it.

On May 1, millions of illegal aliens working in meat-processing
plants, construction, restaurants, hotels, and other "jobs Americans
won't do" are supposed to stay home from work to show the importance
of their labor to our nation's economy. Doubtless, there will be some
inconvenience if that happens, but there is another side to the story
that is not being reported.

........................................... snipped
..
Somehow this poster managed to mention all the negative aspects. Won't
repeat them all here ...........

But none of the positives?

As a non-American, non Mexican, but a neighbour may we offer a comment from
a different point of view. There are a lot of 'Americans' in our country and
we are unsure how many are here legally? Or have overstayed their welcome?
Passports and visas/work permits for Americans will be a good idea to sort
out our problem also.

Our suggestion is: Build a complete wall around the USA (or at least the
lower 48). make sure the ports and airports are secure and have US citizens
stay home inside? In many parts of the world this would be welcome news!

Import as little as possible from elsewhere; that will help take care of the
existing US 'balance of trade deficit'. Use US made goods as far as
possible. All electrcity, oil and water used in the USA should come from US
resources, without dependence on other countries.

If this policy was effective there would be fewer "Yankee go home"
demonstrations; US military expenditures would be curtailed and Americans
will 'be avaialble' to do those lower paid jobs that it is presumed are
being done by those 'illegals'.

When/if US citizens needed to travel abroad, for any reason, they would have
a valid passport for exiting and returning and also obtain a visa valid for
a certain period of time to enter and stay in another country. US citizens
would not be permitted to work or perform certain occupations in other
countries, unless there was a shortage and the other country issued the
equivalent of a green card. American companies would not be allowed to enter
and set up shop in other countries such as Mexico or elswhere; their
investment should be made within the USA in order to employ US citizens.

Now this is only a suggestion mind you: It would appear reasonable that the
existing citizens of all countries have the right to determine the policy
regarding permanent immigration and entry into their country that their
government should follow; be that sometimes there are humanitarian
conditions also. Also the 'natural resources' of any country belong to and
are regulated by that country; no one else, for example should be able to
tell the US how to use the electricity generated by, say, the Hoover dam; or
tell the US how to use it's oil/gas. But what about telling US company, Wal
Mart the biggest retailer in the world, to buy only US made goods?

It does seem that there is work to be done within the north American economy
and the USA has allowed what some perceive as a huge problem of an 'illegal'
immigrant work force to develop, particularly, but not exclusively, from
Mexico.

Interestingly almost all US citizens today, except those whose ancestors
were the previous aboriginal peoples (and even they probably came from
somewere else over 10,000 years ago!) are descendents of immigrants; some
legal some not. I have a remote European ancestor, back in the 1890s, who
"Went Stateside" jumped ship and was never heard of again. But since he was
a 'black sheep' of our family nobody talked about it! No I won't mention our
European family name. And I won't mention the statue of Liberty either
.......................... "Yearning (immigrants that is) to be free
............... etc. " So does first generation immigrant have less 'right'
than say a fourth or fifth generation?

Even the names of leaders such as Bush, Rice, Kennedy, Rumsfeld,
Schwarznegger, Kerry etc. identify their mainly European or other origins!
Or that their forbears were imported as slaves by, mainly, Europeans etc.
BTW just found out the other day the The Pilgrims Fathers stopped for
supplies in the non-US port where I now live!

Also the USA does not appear to have done a good job of incorporating other
languages and or people of other 'faiths', into its culture as has, for
example, Canada, which has two official languages and an official 'multi
cultural' policy. Maybe the two official languages of the USA should be
Spanish and American?

It seems that in the US you gotta profess some version of 'Christianity'
although some may be cults of some sort, speak what Americans call 'English'
(although why it is still called that, so many years after the Boston Tea
Party, is odd?), carry a gun and complain about having to wear a car seat
belt?

I trust most readers will perceive that this is being written somewhat
facetiously? :-)

But sometimes, it's interesting to think about the shoe being on the other
foot (which it will eventually be). Eh?

To our US cousins we do wish all the best. Canuck.

Doug Miller May 4th 06 02:35 PM

In article .com, " wrote:
hey make every illegal go away.

do know food will be much more costly

homes will cost more

many business will leave the US altogether for cheaper contries...

That's been happening for a number of years already. Apparently you hadn't
noticed.

our economy will falter

Absolute nonsense. The total number of illegal aliens in the US is estimated
at 11 to 12 million. Many of these are children. More than a few of the adults
are unemployed. Deporting all of them would reduce the pool of available
workers by maybe 4 to 5 million -- which is around three percent of the total
workforce. The effect on the economy would be quite minor, at worst.

big business will be unhappy

this is why nearly no one talks about deporting them all, just stopping
future ones...

No, the reason hardly anyone talks about deporting them all is that it just
isn't practical to round up and deport twelve million people.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller May 4th 06 02:42 PM

In article , "Stan" wrote:

Also the USA does not appear to have done a good job of incorporating other
languages and or people of other 'faiths', into its culture as has, for
example, Canada, which has two official languages and an official 'multi
cultural' policy.

And how's that working for you up there? Before you answer... ask a Quebecois
how *he* likes it.

Maybe the two official languages of the USA should be
Spanish and American?

So far, we've managed to escape the separatists strife that comes along with
that sort of thing. You can't say the same for your nation. I think we'll just
keep that one the way it is right now.

It seems that in the US you gotta profess some version of 'Christianity'

Can't imagine what makes you think that. In our Bill of Rights, the very
*first* right enumerated is the freedom of religion. Does Canada still have a
state religion? We've *never* had one here, and our Constitution specifically
forbids it.

although some may be cults of some sort, speak what Americans call 'English'

Like it or not, English *is* the principal language of commerce and day-to-day
life in this country.

(although why it is still called that, so many years after the Boston Tea
Party, is odd?), carry a gun and complain about having to wear a car seat
belt?

Maybe you ought to spend some time traveling in the States. Get to actually
know a few Americans. Form your opinions about us from some source other than
television.

I trust most readers will perceive that this is being written somewhat
facetiously? :-)

Yeah, very funny.

--
Regards,

Joseph Meehan May 4th 06 03:58 PM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:

[...]

You are scary.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Doug Kanter May 4th 06 04:16 PM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .

How about your city. Would you support a law that no one with a
criminal record as a pedophile would be allowed in and make sure that
anyone who is not already there provide proof at the city limits that
they don't have such a record?

Sure. Why not?

You are scary.
Joseph Meehan

He's be the first one to complain about his civil liberties being violated
when he was asked for whatever form of proof he has in mind.

BobK207 May 4th 06 04:31 PM

Doug Kanter wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

"BobK207" wrote in message
legroups.com...

[...]

Doug-

We just have largely different

as per your comment

"Farmers don't develop the machinery, and farm equipment manufacturers
don't
pay farm laborers."

My repsonse is "yeah, so what" it's called economic specialization

btw you're wrong about "Farmers don't develop the machinery" my
recently deceased (~95 years old) across the street neighbor, a major
farm industry player in OC, CA. was instrumental in the development of
many farm implements; a massive plow system, a string bean harvester &
a sugar beat harverster (those are just the ones I can remember)

I'll get back to you later about which crops are NOW harvested

by machines (or not).

And this is important, why?
without a before & after cost of labor vs capital analysis this is all
pretty much a waste of time.

I happen to strongly believe in economics as a driving force, you
apparently do not.

cheers
Bob

Doug Kanter May 4th 06 04:56 PM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

"BobK207" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'll get back to you later about which crops are NOW harvested

by machines (or not).

And this is important, why?
without a before & after cost of labor vs capital analysis this is all
pretty much a waste of time.

It's pertinent because earlier in this discussion, some yahoo said we should
replace illegal workers with machines. I commented that many crops cannot be
harvested successfully by machine. Now, follow me he If these yahoos had
their way, and if we lived in a fairy tale, the law would change in a few
months, and illegal farm workers would be gone quickly. But, if we actually
booted out so many workers in a short period of time, you could kiss many of
your favorite foods goodbye for an unknown period of time.

Why unknown? Because neither you nor I have any idea whether, for instance,
anyone's experimented with machines to pick strawberries. I e-mailed John
Deere Corp. to find out. I'll let you know. I do NOT disagree with your
comment that money pushes ideas. However, the ideas we're discussing here
may have already been found to be impractical.

Naturally, all this could change if the strawberry industry launches an ad
campaign to convince us that bruised, rotting berries are a good thing.
Then, they could harvest them using crop dusters pulling fish nets.

moncheri May 4th 06 05:37 PM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Let's back up a little. Why do you want those immigration laws that
keep out others.

Every country has their own form of immigration laws. People come here
for a chance to better themselves but most do it legally. I lived in
Central America for 1 year decades ago and even they have immigration
laws. By the way I was there legally. Talk to the legal immigrants
and you will find they are every bit as angry as the rest of us. They
feel it isn't right to reward the law breakers by giving them amnesty,
they feel anger that those are the same people who are causing the
single largest strain on America's economy in medical, educational and
legal cost which by the way the legal immigrants help pay for.

I live and work among a large hispanic population and have absolutely
no problem with any one I know. However, every day I see how our
system is being overwhelmed by the sheer size of the growing load being
placed on it. I can see our system reaching a breaking point in the
not so distant future if we don't begin applying the laws already on
the books.

If the only excuse some people can come up with is: who would do all
the physical labor that American's will not do (just in case someone
forgot everyone who lives in North, Central and South are all
American's)? If we have raised a nation of pansies who can't do any
type of physical labor then shame on us. I can only hope we will all
wake up and stop being a nation of whiners, criers and finger pointers.
Pick ourselves up, grab our boot straps and get on with the things
that need to be done and stop trying to be so politically correct.

George E. Cawthon May 4th 06 05:39 PM

Doug Kanter wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

((Snipped))

No to the last. The reason is probably economics, cheaper to pay labor
than to develop, buy, and maintain machines. Also the way they are grown
would probably have to change and could increase costs. It certainly
isn't because the strawberries are delicate. Recent ones that I ate were
nearly as hard as apples.

Farmers don't develop the machinery, and farm equipment manufacturers don't
pay farm laborers. But, never mind. I'm doing some research that should
interest you. I'll get back to you later about which crops are NOW harvested
by machines (or not).

That a specious argument (statement?). Of course
farmers don't develop the machinery, but they buy
the machinery and they pay the farm laborers. A
machinery maker isn't going to develop a machine
that is too expensive for farmers to buy.

Yes, that would be interesting about which crops
are hand harvested.

Larry Bud May 4th 06 06:00 PM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

But than US citizens would have more money to spend here in the US.
Much of what illegals from Mexico earn gets shipped back to MEXICO to
support their families and never gets spent HERE. Then there's the savings
from lower crimes

I doubt illegals commit as many crimes per person as most other
subgroups in the US, because they know if they are arrested, they'll
likely be deported. They try to keep a low profile.

Certainly I've never seen any statistical claim that they commit more
crimes.

Well, 100% of them commit crimes by the fact that they are illegal
aliens.

Doug Kanter May 4th 06 06:27 PM

Doug Kanter wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

((Snipped))

No to the last. The reason is probably economics, cheaper to pay labor
than to develop, buy, and maintain machines. Also the way they are grown
would probably have to change and could increase costs. It certainly
isn't because the strawberries are delicate. Recent ones that I ate were
nearly as hard as apples.

Farmers don't develop the machinery, and farm equipment manufacturers
don't pay farm laborers. But, never mind. I'm doing some research that
should interest you. I'll get back to you later about which crops are NOW
harvested by machines (or not).

That a specious argument (statement?). Of course farmers don't develop
the machinery, but they buy the machinery and they pay the farm laborers.
A machinery maker isn't going to develop a machine that is too expensive
for farmers to buy.

You'd be terrified if you know what a typical corn harvesting setup costs.
But, small farmers manage to buy them.

Yes, that would be interesting about which crops are hand harvested.

You really should trust what an ancient gardener like me tells you:

Good Morning,
My name is Kamal Bagri. I am Deputy Agricultural Commissioner with
Stanislaus County. There are several crops which are harvested by field
crews rather than machines. Some of them are listed below:
Lettuce, Cantaloupes, Watermelon, Honeydews, Broccolli, Cauliflower, Squash,
Pumpkins, Grapes, Cherries, Peaches, Apricots, Nectarines, Plums, Apples,
Citrus, and Fresh market Tomatoes.
For any further questions give me a call.
Thank you.

Kamaljit Bagri
Deputy Ag. Commissioner/Sealer
Stanislaus Dept. of Ag. and Wts. & Measures
3800 Cornucopia way, Suite B
Modesto, CA 95358

moncheri May 4th 06 09:39 PM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

A comparison such as the one you have made is warped on so many levels
it is difficult to know where to begin.

I have heard of anyone recommending separating the families, stealing
their belongings, torturing them, using them as human guinea pigs or
killing them. The only thing I have heard recommended and what I would
like to see done is for the ILLEGAL immigrants to be sent back home or
go through the legal process to become US citizens. No more! No Less!

George E. Cawthon May 5th 06 12:04 AM

Doug Kanter wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

((Snipped))

[...]

Only if I had to buy it would I be terrified? The
cost of equipment to just prepare the ground for
planting is high, so is everything else. But of
course that has nothing to do with anything.

OTOH, no business man has hundreds of thousands of
dollars in capital if he has an annual profit of
$20,000. Harvesting equipment ranges from very
small and relatively cheap equipment that is labor
intensive to huge machines that cost a fortune.
Somewhere in the "small farmer" category most do
not own the harvesting equipment but hire
harvesting crews.

Joseph Meehan May 5th 06 12:22 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

moncheri wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

[...]

I live in a small city close to a large city. Our school, fire police
etc are all being stretched. Should be put up a fence and limit those who
can come in? Just to make sure that no one comes and stays, we would also
need to limit visitors as well. Do you think this is a good idea?

The state also has problems so what are your thoughts about doing the
same for the state as well?

Doug Miller May 5th 06 03:00 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

In article , "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:

[...]

You still haven't explained why you think it's "bad" and "hateful" and
"fearful" to want to make sure that the people coming into our country aren't
criminals before we let them in. What's so scary about that?

--
Regards,

Doug Miller May 5th 06 03:04 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

In article , wrote:
On Thu, 04 May 2006 13:35:15 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

No, the reason hardly anyone talks about deporting them all is that it just
isn't practical to round up and deport twelve million people.

The Germans didn't have any problem doing it in the 30s and 40s ...
with much the same prejudice.

Well, you just blew any credibility that you might have hoped you had.

Nobody is talking about rounding up twelve million people and GASSING them,
you ass -- just rounding them up and SENDING THEM HOME.

--
Regards,

Jim Yanik May 5th 06 03:58 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

moncheri wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

[...]

That is NOT the equivalent of National borders.Get a clue.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik May 5th 06 04:01 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

(Doug Miller) wrote in
. com:

In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:

[...]

Or carrying dangerous infectious diseases,(and requiring medical treatment
along with quarantine,all at OUR expense.)
or bringing insect pests to devastate out agriculture and forests.

Jim Yanik May 5th 06 04:04 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

(Doug Miller) wrote in
. com:

In article ,
wrote:
On Thu, 04 May 2006 13:35:15 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

No, the reason hardly anyone talks about deporting them all is that
it just isn't practical to round up and deport twelve million people.

The Germans didn't have any problem doing it in the 30s and 40s ...
with much the same prejudice.

Well, you just blew any credibility that you might have hoped you had.

Nobody is talking about rounding up twelve million people and GASSING
them, you ass -- just rounding them up and SENDING THEM HOME.

That's all part of the Liberal Demonization Tactic;comparing one to
Nazis,or making extreme,far-out analogies as if they are somehow
equivalent.(along with the "no borders" paradigm)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

BobK207 May 5th 06 05:39 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

Doug Kanter wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

speak for yourself, I will speak for myself :)

Don't contact John Deere........UC Davis Ag Engineering Dept would be
the place to start.

I do NOT disagree with your comment that money pushes ideas.

oh, I thought you did disagree

However, the ideas we're discussing here may have already been found to be impractical.

like machines that fly or planes that go faster than the speed of
sound?
or autoloaders in a tank? or unmanned aircraft? or wired guided
missiles or laser designated missiles or "fire & forget" missiles? or
self destructing land mines?
or GPS guided bombs? or body armor that will stop a .30 cal?
or artificial blood ? or exothermic "powdered scab"? or nano-partiicle
oil additives?
genetically modified algae that produces mercury free (no fish source)
DHA?
or nirtrogen fixing trees, for thrid world renewable firewood & crop
rotation?

it's called engineering development, the market at work

you could kiss many of your favorite foods goodbye for an unknown period of time.

maybe I would choose to llive w/o artificially (taxpayer subsidized)
cheap strawberries? maybe I'll choose to spend the money I would have
spent on a new car for $10/lb stawberries or I drink cheaper (or less
wine) to pay for my $trawberries? just like we all do with gas

I like blueberries & cranberries.

maybe we could import the berries rather than the berry pickers?

maybe the Pringels people could do for strawberries what they did for
potato chips?

it's all about choices & cheap labor skews the choices towards cheap
labor slolutions

cheers
Bob

BobK207 May 5th 06 05:43 AM

A Day Without an Illegal Immigrant

Jim Yanik wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
. com:

In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Joseph
Meehan" wrote:

[...]

-
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Jim-

You make a very good point about "angerous infectious diseases"

a map overlay of illegal immigrantion, resistant TD & Hep A all match

Source.....Time magazine

cheers
Bob