Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default Condensor Capcitor

GigDaddy wrote:
My 9 year old goodman ac quit working over the weekend. Had a friend
that knows a little about ac look at it. He said that the run
capacitor for the compressor was bad. The one that was in there was
rated at 35 micro farads. He put in a 45 micro farad one and said that
there would not be a problem. The system runs now but the different
size capacitor has me concerned. Will this cause a problem or not?

Thanks,

GigDaddy

Hi,
Caps have wide range of tolerance and bigger ones are better choice
than smaller ones when there is no exact replacement available.
I'd not worry about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Mon, 01 May 2006 15:04:49 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

GigDaddy wrote:
My 9 year old goodman ac quit working over the weekend. Had a friend
that knows a little about ac look at it. He said that the run
capacitor for the compressor was bad. The one that was in there was
rated at 35 micro farads. He put in a 45 micro farad one and said that
there would not be a problem. The system runs now but the different
size capacitor has me concerned. Will this cause a problem or not?

Thanks,

GigDaddy

Hi,
Caps have wide range of tolerance and bigger ones are better choice
than smaller ones when there is no exact replacement available.
I'd not worry about it.

I seem to remember the usual tolerance for electrolytic capacitors
being -20%/+100%. That 35uF could actually be as high as 70uF.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com