Posted to alt.home.repair
higgins

Default What material for a walk deck on a condo's flat roof???

I live in a New Jersey condo with a 20 x 20 roof terrace that's about
to be replaced. The roof is to be pitched to a center drain. One
contractor recommends against the previous practice of covering the
roof with an astroturf carpet, believing it traps water that then
freezes, rather than letting it drain. That translates into leaks. So
how what should I cover this with so we can walk on it??

The obvious solution wooden or composite plank deck. Not sure we can
make that work, code-wise. What other options are there?? I've been
surfing around to gather information before chatting with roofers (and
perhaps and architecht) so I don't get completely snowed. This stuff
(http://www.dri-dek.com/) looks kinda interesting, but it's probably
not suitable. So do these interlocking tiles, but I presume they'll
look pretty lousy after a few years (http://www.wonderdeck.com/)

Suggestions? Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
tim1198

If you want to do it right, have them fire on bitumen rubber, put down
1x4 scabs, and put decking on top of that. If you want to get away
cheap, you can put the astroturf, and have to jack with it in 5 yrs...

tim1198

Roof Leaks Deck Leaks HELP Michael Roback Home Ownership 0 October 10th 05 02:55 AM
Roof and Deck Leaks HELP Michael Roback Home Repair 0 October 10th 05 02:52 AM
flat roof leak, eek! Ben Gold Home Repair 11 April 3rd 05 03:44 PM
Flat roof repair Lobster UK diy 1 November 2nd 04 01:49 PM
Flat Roof Side Window Gary Holt UK diy 1 October 6th 03 07:49 PM