Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default To nailshoote, et al: T1-11 Wood Siding Question

Hi,

Re T1-11 wood house siding:

a. Are their different "quality" levels, or is the stuff HD sells pretty
much it ? 5/8 thick the standard ?

b. For areas that are damaged on house, and need replacement:

Is it practical, or ever done, where a narrow, perhaps a foot wide, strip is
replaced by ripping from a new panel, or is it always that a complete 4x8
foot section is always used in its entirety for any type of replacemnent or
repair ?

c. This stuff still used (much) ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 08:20:03 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hi,

Re T1-11 wood house siding:

a. Are their different "quality" levels, or is the stuff HD sells pretty
much it ? 5/8 thick the standard ?

I don't know much about quality, but I know there are two thickness.
I think HD sold the thicker one and Lowes the thinner, but I make
numeric mistakes all the time.

There are also two different spacings for the grooves. Two years ago,
Lowes had the narrower one that matched my house.

b. For areas that are damaged on house, and need replacement:

Is it practical, or ever done, where a narrow, perhaps a foot wide, strip is
replaced by ripping from a new panel, or is it always that a complete 4x8
foot section is always used in its entirety for any type of replacemnent or
repair ?

Is there a 4x8 panel there now, and you plan to cut out a foot wide
strip? Why? Without a good reason, I wouldn't do that.

Or are you saying there is a foot wide strip that is separate from
other pieces, and you're going to rip that off and you need something
to replace it with? What else can you use but a piece from a new
sheet? Or a piece from an old sheet.

I had to replace a couple sheets, and I painted with the same latex
stain and it looks just like the rest. In my case, I painted before
nailing. I used brown ribbed nails, so I didn't have to paint again
(to cover the nails) until it was time to paint everything. (then
I'll put in bigger nails.)

c. This stuff still used (much) ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

wrote:

Hi,

Re T1-11 wood house siding:

a. Are their different "quality" levels, or is the stuff HD sells pretty
much it ? 5/8 thick the standard ?

I don't know much about quality, but I know there are two thickness.
I think HD sold the thicker one and Lowes the thinner, but I make
numeric mistakes all the time.

There are also two different spacings for the grooves. Two years ago,
Lowes had the narrower one that matched my house.

In my area, there are 4 types available: 3/8" & 3/4". They come in either 4"
or 8" groove spacing. The 3/8" ones have very shallow (1/16") grooves, and
don't look nearly as good as the 3/4" with deeper (3/16") grooves.