DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dehumidifier fan motor too expensive (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/155550-dehumidifier-fan-motor-too-expensive.html)

Rufus14o58 April 30th 06 12:45 AM

Dehumidifier fan motor too expensive

Hi,

I have a $250 Gibson dehumidifier that just lost it's fan motor. I
figured I'd fix it myself and then find out that tiny little fan motor
costs $125. What's so special about this little motor?? Half the
value of the entire unit?

Not worth fixing..... I guess I'm just venting - sorry.

Speedy Jim April 30th 06 12:54 AM

Rufus14o58 wrote:

Hi,

I have a $250 Gibson dehumidifier that just lost it's fan motor. I
figured I'd fix it myself and then find out that tiny little fan motor
costs $125. What's so special about this little motor?? Half the
value of the entire unit?

Not worth fixing..... I guess I'm just venting - sorry.

http://www.repairclinic.com/0001.asp
There are others, this is one on-line outfit that
caters to DIY.
See if they can source a motor for you.

Jim

Edwin Pawlowski April 30th 06 03:17 AM

Dehumidifier fan motor too expensive

"Rufus14o58" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have a $250 Gibson dehumidifier that just lost it's fan motor. I
figured I'd fix it myself and then find out that tiny little fan motor
costs $125. What's so special about this little motor?? Half the
value of the entire unit?

Not worth fixing..... I guess I'm just venting - sorry.

Northing special about it, but they can charge what they want to. You can
often find motors at other sources, such as www.grainger.com or
www.repairclinic.com Gibson is made by Frigidaire If it is a proprietary
motor the seller can gouge you as they see fit. Half the cost is cheap if
the unit is relatively new, expensive if it is five or more years old since
it may die of other causes soon anyway.

Stormin Mormon April 30th 06 03:17 AM

Dehumidifier fan motor too expensive

I was out of town one time away from my parts suppliers. A friend's
dehum wasn't working, and it was the fan. I went to Kmart, and bought
a little table top fan, with pedestal base. Some serious modification
later, and I had the table top fan cut to shape, shrouded, wired in,
and going. Asked a couple months later, and it was running nicely.

You don't always need to use the factory spec part to make something
work. All you need, here, is air flow.

Remit 48.50 for advice, please.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

ted harris April 30th 06 12:19 PM

Dehumidifier fan motor too expensive

In news:Rufus14o58 typed:
I have a $250 Gibson dehumidifier that just lost it's fan motor. I
figured I'd fix it myself and then find out that tiny little fan motor
costs $125. What's so special about this little motor?? Half the
value of the entire unit?

I have found good luck here with very cheap prices...
http://www.surpluscenter.com/

Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Rufus14o58 May 4th 06 12:15 AM

Dehumidifier fan motor too expensive

This is all good information - I'm going postpone throwing it out and
make a project out of it.

Thanks all