Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing bathroom sink and hooking plumbing back up

Greetings.

I just replaced my bathroom sink and have hooked the plumbing back up.
The one problem I have is that the PVC pipe that leads into the drain
trap from the wall pipe (which is iron).

I am using the same pvc pipe that existed there with my old sink. When
I run water and let it drain from the sink water seems to get backed up
and leaks back from the wall/iron pipe to the wall and runs down to the
floor. Am I missing something? I am pretty sure that everything is
the same leading back into the main house plumbing.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chad

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

I am using the same pvc pipe that existed there with my old sink. When
I run water and let it drain from the sink water seems to get backed up
and leaks back from the wall/iron pipe to the wall and runs down to the
floor. Am I missing something? I am pretty sure that everything is
the same leading back into the main house plumbing.

The problem is that everything is the same. Even the now compressed gasket
or seal. I don't know what kind of fitting you have, but most likely it is
no longer sealing and should be replaced, or at least the seal/gasket
inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's just a straight 1 1/4" PVC pipe fitting into the main iron pipe.

Are you saying that I just just replace the current PVC pipe that goes
into the iron pipe? Forgive my ignorance but I guess I don't know
where the seal/gasket that you are referring to would be.

Thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message

I am using the same pvc pipe that existed there with my old sink. When
I run water and let it drain from the sink water seems to get backed up
and leaks back from the wall/iron pipe to the wall and runs down to the
floor. Am I missing something? I am pretty sure that everything is
the same leading back into the main house plumbing.

The problem is that everything is the same. Even the now compressed

gasket
or seal. I don't know what kind of fitting you have, but most likely it

is
no longer sealing and should be replaced, or at least the seal/gasket
inside.

From your description, it sounds like you are reusing the old trap and wall
extension. Strongly recommend replacing all that with plastic, all the way
to the wall, which around here is usually a bronze casting that turns
immediately. The kit is less than 5 bucks, and it will cut way down on sink
clogs and leaks. Only metal nut should be the one against the wall, under
the trim ring. Do not use the plastic nut on the wall joint- spend an extra
buck and buy a metal nut, and slide that over the plastic drain pipe before
shoving it into the wall. Tighten all nuts about 1/8th turn past hand-tight
with a pair of pump pliers. I just went through the same thing on my bath
sink, changing the trap. Tried the metal nut after running out of other
things to try, and it solved the leak immediately. And do pay attention to
how the gaskets fit in the nuts- if it has a tapered side, that points in
the direction the water flows in the pipe. Use the gasket that comes with
the metal nut.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
It's just a straight 1 1/4" PVC pipe fitting into the main iron pipe.

Are you saying that I just just replace the current PVC pipe that goes
into the iron pipe? Forgive my ignorance but I guess I don't know
where the seal/gasket that you are referring to would be.

Thanks again.

That explains it more. There should be a seal. Perhaps there was a seal or
caulk or something that was there but disturbed when you took the PVC out.
While drains have little pressure, water will find its way out of any gap.
If the fit is very snug, a bead of silicone would probably do the job.