DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Extending the Neutral Wire for AFCI & GFCI Breakers in a Breaker Panel (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/155464-extending-neutral-wire-afci-gfci-breakers-breaker-panel.html)

[email protected] April 29th 06 04:39 AM

Extending the Neutral Wire for AFCI & GFCI Breakers in a Breaker Panel

I would like to install an AFCI breaker for my bedroom outlet circuit
and an GFCI breaker for my bathroom outlet circuit. The problem is
that the breakers need their respective neutral circuit wires taken
from the neutral bus bar to the new AFCI/GFCI breaker(s), but the
neutral wires are too short to reach the breakers. What kind of spices
(ie. crimp, stab or twist) could I use to extend the neutral wires that
is up to the current NEC code?

[email protected] April 29th 06 07:50 AM

Extending the Neutral Wire for AFCI & GFCI Breakers in a Breaker Panel

crimp is best

Toller April 29th 06 01:20 PM

Extending the Neutral Wire for AFCI & GFCI Breakers in a Breaker Panel

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to install an AFCI breaker for my bedroom outlet circuit
and an GFCI breaker for my bathroom outlet circuit. The problem is
that the breakers need their respective neutral circuit wires taken
from the neutral bus bar to the new AFCI/GFCI breaker(s), but the
neutral wires are too short to reach the breakers. What kind of spices
(ie. crimp, stab or twist) could I use to extend the neutral wires that
is up to the current NEC code?

The best thing to do is to move your breakers around so the it can reach.
That ought to be possible.
If not, wire nuts will meet code as long as it is all done in the box.

I have the opposite problem. My wires are all so long that it is difficult
to fit them in the breaker box. I ought to trim them down, but am afraid as
soon as I do it I will need them longer for some reason. Putting a transfer
switch in was a real trip.

Tom The Great April 29th 06 04:45 PM

On 28 Apr 2006 20:39:39 -0700, wrote:

I would like to install an AFCI breaker for my bedroom outlet circuit
and an GFCI breaker for my bathroom outlet circuit. The problem is
that the breakers need their respective neutral circuit wires taken
from the neutral bus bar to the new AFCI/GFCI breaker(s), but the
neutral wires are too short to reach the breakers. What kind of spices
(ie. crimp, stab or twist) could I use to extend the neutral wires that
is up to the current NEC code?

After reading the NEC, I found the wirenuts I was finding in
customer's pannels was 100% ok, if spacing was maintained. So wire
nuts are ok, but when I retrofited my own pannel for AFCI's I used
butt splices. They look cleaner than wirenuts and are allowed.

Remember, reference the NEC, not my post, and you will see splices are
ok, and how to do them properly.

hth,

tom @
www.NoCostAds.com