Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

Default Is 10 gauge wire enough to run compressor?

My friend ran 10-3 wire from his power box to his new workshop
about 150 away, he says with 10 guage wire. He says it has three
wires so I assume this is what they call 10-3.
He wants to buy a 60 gallon, 3 hp compressor, one of those $400
one's at tractor supply that are 240 volt and push about 10.3cfm
@90psi.

I'm worried that his wire is not heavy enough. I have (3) 4 guage
wires
running to my workshop which will run 75 amps, more than I'll ever
need.
He ran his wire before telling me, so it's already buried and done.

His wire looks awful small. I know when I run my portable compressors
to take out tile in people's homes, they will kick off 15 amp breakers
all
the time. I need to find a strong plug like where the washer is
plugged in.
I know his larger compressor will demand a lot more juice to kick over
and run.

Will his 10 guage wire support the proposed compressor, or will
he ruin the motor on it as I suspect?
BTW, he is also running many shop lights in the shop, which will
add to the draw some.

Thanks for your help,

thetiler (not theelectrician)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Apr 2006 21:55:59 -0700, "thetiler" wrote:

[...]

You are correct. #10 wire is far too small.
I'd use at least a #50 wire.

Just multiply the wire number by 10 and you get the proper voltage.
#10 wire is for 100 volts
#50 wire is for 500 volts.

Use the #50 for maximum power.

Retired Electrician
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

thetiler wrote:
My friend ran 10-3 wire from his power box to his new workshop
about 150 away, he says with 10 guage wire. He says it has three
wires so I assume this is what they call 10-3.

Don't assume. It may be 10-2 and he may be counting the ground.

He wants to buy a 60 gallon, 3 hp compressor, one of those $400
one's at tractor supply that are 240 volt and push about 10.3cfm
@90psi.

What does the manufacturer recommend? What are the amp specs for the
compressor? Not all 3 HP's are created equal and they don't all draw the
same current.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

wonder what breaker hes useing with that 10 wire... i think 30amp is
the biggest breaker reccomended. i think according to chart he should
have used 4 number 8 wires to his garage to wire up a new breaker pannel
,,and have a 50 amp breaker on it at the house where it connects........
i think that guy reccomending 50 wire is jokeing.. have wired up several
garages with 4 #8 wires and have worked well.lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

His compressor at 240 volts will draw in the neighborhood of 15 amps. Any
lights he has on the circuit will surely dim when the compressor starts, but
should otherwise work fine.

"thetiler" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

the killer is the long cable run, the wire will heat rather than power
the motor, buried wires heat more since they cant dissapate heat as
well as those exposed.

given all this it will probably work but snt a good idea.

i have number 10 gauge wire on a 5hp 30 gallon compressor but the wire
is only a few feet long....

never gets warm

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

I used this method to power my flux capacitor. You can double the
wires and multiply the voltage. I used 3 # 50 wires to get 125,000,000
volts (500^3)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Source:
newsfeed.news.ucla.edu!newsfeed.berkeley.edu!ucber keley!pln-w!spln!lex!extra.newsguy.com!newsp.newsguy.com!ene ws1:

Obviously from a train engine-ear. Typical of today's crops.

#10 wire is for 100 volts
#50 wire is for 500 volts.

Use the #50 for maximum power.

Retired Electrician

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"thetiler" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've never seen replies like what you got. Is it an obvious troll that I am
not catching?

Anyhow, he can run 30a at 240v. (or 24a if you consider a compressor a
continuous load, which it might be...) But that should be plenty for a 3hp
motor, which is typically 18a or so. Even if you throw in 6a (1400w!) for
lights, he is still okay.
Obviously you will want to verify it is 10/3, because you can't run 120v
lights and a 240v compressor on 10/2.
But why not check the rating on the compressor to see what it requires?

Posted to alt.home.repair
grover

#50 ?

Be careful about what you hear here......

#10 is good for 30 amps - has nothing to do with volts...... There is
no such thing as #50 wire for AC distribution - it would be less than
hair thin!

Perhaps you need an electrician - not a retired one!

#10 wire is for 100 volts
#50 wire is for 500 volts.

Use the #50 for maximum power.

Retired Electrician

Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

I will check when I go over there to see whether it is 10-2
or 10-3. A similar compressor at TSC draws 15 amps.
As someone else mentioned...I worry about the long distance
out to the building.

If the wire is 10-3, could another length of 10-3 be run
(will have to re dig the ditch but it would be fresh dirt)
and the two 10-3 wires be joined together in parallel?

thetiler

Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

The response wasn't even funny either. In my original
question, I mentioned that I had done my own building
with #4 wire which would carry 75 amps, so his
reference to #50 wire makes no sense...perhaps this
is a 15 year old on mommy's computer?

Newsgroup humor is tricky and shouldn't be attempted
by children.

thetiler

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

thetiler wrote:

The response wasn't even funny either. In my original
question, I mentioned that I had done my own building
with #4 wire which would carry 75 amps, so his
reference to #50 wire makes no sense...perhaps this
is a 15 year old on mommy's computer?

Newsgroup humor is tricky and shouldn't be attempted
by children.

thetiler

Hi,
I never saw 50 guage wire in my life as an EE. It'd be much smaller than
a hear strand
Posted to alt.home.repair

10ga is good for 9.5hp. He could run TWO of these compressors and still
have enough for 2.5kW of lighting!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 04:03:29 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

thetiler wrote:

The response wasn't even funny either. In my original
question, I mentioned that I had done my own building
with #4 wire which would carry 75 amps, so his
reference to #50 wire makes no sense...perhaps this
is a 15 year old on mommy's computer?

Newsgroup humor is tricky and shouldn't be attempted
by children.

thetiler

Hi,
I never saw 50 guage wire in my life as an EE. It'd be much smaller than
a hear strand

I think the smallest I've seen is 44 gauge magnet wire.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

You know, what is code and what will work are way apart two different
things. When my dad built our detached (200' away) garage in 1962, I'm sure
he was only thinking lights. As the years went on, we not only had 8 - 40
watt fluorescent bulbs, but also an old 5 hp air compressor, a 200A Hobart
MIG welder, grinders, drop lights, AND an overhead natural gas fired forced
air heater. All the while the garage was wired with 10/3 AND buried. I
remember when we bought the welder, he was skeptical the 10ga would carry
it. But to our surprise, the lights didn't even flicker when using the
welder. So we just left well enough alone. The 10/3 was fed off the main
household panel with a 30A breaker as it should have been and I don't EVER
remember it breaking and needing to be reset.

--
Steve Barker

"thetiler" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

20% over thoeritical (or 19A) is more typical which still leaves stacks
for his lighting

Posted to alt.home.repair
rich

Your arithmetic is fine, but a typical motor is not 100 percent
efficient--probably less than 90 percent, in these sizes. Second, they
do not run at unity power factor (don't aks me to explain), seems as if
..8 or so for single phase. So--divide amperage by .8, then by .9 for
FL current--but of course it doesn't always run at full load.
Then--the real killer. These motors often draw 2x-3x on start up.
More drop in line, longer to start. May blow your breaker, more likely
just hard on motor. Takes longer to start, more heating, shorter life.

so 7200*.9*.8=5kw.

The real answer is to figure out the ohmic loss in the wire during
start up.

My guess--as someone earlier said, it will probably work, lights will
dim. Once the motor is up to speed--lights will come back up. Bad
practice, false economy. But--you aren't likely to burn down the
house.

Once, not taking my own advice, I ran a 230V 1/3/4 hp well pump off 2X
10Ga at about 900 ft. That is two 10GA direct burial, wired in
parallel. Saw about 10-15V drop. Dumb.

Goedjn wrote:
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:21:26 -0400, wrote:

On 27 Apr 2006 05:35:15 -0700,
wrote:

10ga is good for 9.5hp

Explain that.

10 GA = 30A
240V * 30A = 7200 Watts
Horsepower = Watts * .00134

7200 Watts * .00134 = 9.6+ HP

What's to explain?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

thetiler wrote:
The response wasn't even funny either. In my original
question, I mentioned that I had done my own building
with #4 wire which would carry 75 amps, so his
reference to #50 wire makes no sense...perhaps this
is a 15 year old on mommy's computer?

Nah, the guy's an electrician. Tradesmen generally hate DIYers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Christopher H. Laco

thetiler wrote:
[...]

Just for the sake of saying so, when they built my house, they underside
the feed to the garage...why on gods earth people would wire the whole
house with the same gauge, EXCEPT for the feed to the garage is beyond
me. And yes, it barely powers the compressor sometimes, even with a
burst-friendly breaker. Since I don't use it more than once a month, it
has not yet been worth the effort of restring that line.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Totally bogus statement. This newsgroup has over a dozen professional
electricians and a handful of EE's that give helpful advise on a daily basis

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...