Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Default type of chimney to install?

Some furnaces-boilers can`t use chimneys they are so efficient a chimney
would only condensate water as they don`t warm up, they are called
Direct Vent, The system 2000 may be a Direct Vent unit, or look into
direct vent and junk the chimney.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chimney is a hazard, remove it completely, gain back hall.

Replace or retrofit furnace to a direct vent type.

This will get you a high efficency furnace, your hall back, increase
your resale value since as is ots terrible.

Have you checked on vent systems for your existing furnace

How is your water heated? Do you need chiney for that?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ari

Chimney is a hazard, remove it completely, gain back
hall.

Yes, we know it's a hazard, although we do have CO2 detectors on every
floor near the chimney.

Replace or retrofit furnace to a direct vent type.

This will get you a high efficiency furnace, your hall back,
increase your resale value since as is it's terrible.

Yes, resale value is everything (after functionality and safety)....we
are well aware of the advantages of taking out the defects. It's a no
brainer::

Have you checked on vent systems for your existing
furnace

Am looking into it now.

How is your water heated? Do you need chimney for that?

We have a System 2000 and the hot water comes from the heating system
too. Since the house isn't large, we have no need for a dual flue
chimney, which is why I asked about the metalbestos chimney.

Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Either convert your existing furnace to direct vent or replace the
furnace with a high efficency one and remove the chimney altogether.

the new furnace would be a selling point, and the chimney has only
negative value

a freestanding chimey would not add to the appearance of your home for
resale value, and most likely detract from it