Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray

Default Toe kick: Paint or finish like floor?

If a room has hardwood floors and baseboard molding, is it customary to
paint the quarter round toe kick the same color as the baseboard, or should
it be finished like the floor itself?

Or is it just personal preference?

--
Ray

Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

"Ray" wrote in message
If a room has hardwood floors and baseboard molding, is it customary to
paint the quarter round toe kick the same color as the baseboard, or
should it be finished like the floor itself?

Or is it just personal preference?

--
Ray

I'm voting for personal pref and mine is making it the same as the cabs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:27:32 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

If a room has hardwood floors and baseboard molding, is it customary to
paint the quarter round toe kick the same color as the baseboard, or should
it be finished like the floor itself?

Or is it just personal preference?

The quarter-round molding is traditionally painted the same color as
the baseboard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If a room has hardwood floors and baseboard molding, is it customary to
paint the quarter round toe kick the same color as the baseboard, or should
it be finished like the floor itself?

Or is it just personal preference?

The quarter-round molding is traditionally painted the same color as
the baseboard.

Either way works.
We have quarter round same as floors and I like it.
Material for quarter round becomes important.
Stain + Poly finish scuffs less than paint.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Ray wrote:
If a room has hardwood floors and baseboard molding, is it customary to
paint the quarter round toe kick the same color as the baseboard, or should
it be finished like the floor itself?

Or is it just personal preference?

The only style I have seen is q. round painted same color as baseboard.
It would be a little easier to paint that way - generally small gap
below quarter round that allows sliding something under it to keep paint
off the floor while you are painting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

C & E wrote:
"Ray" wrote in message

If a room has hardwood floors and baseboard molding, is it customary to
paint the quarter round toe kick the same color as the baseboard, or
should it be finished like the floor itself?

Or is it just personal preference?

--
Ray

I'm voting for personal pref and mine is making it the same as the cabs.

Ah ha. That use of "toe kick" is confusing. Toe
kick usually refers to the space under a cabinet.
Yet the OP didn't say anything about cabinets and
asked if the quarter round should be the same as
the "baseboard molding." That two is confusing
since the proper term is just baseboard (it is
normally molded).

Anyway, since one doesn't normally use baseboard
in the toe kick area of a cabinet, the OP must be
talking about walls with a baseboard. If he were
talking about under a cabinet then quarter round
or base shoe the same as the flooring would be
appropriate.

The answer is that regardless of the number of
pieces and the names of the pieces used for the
floor trim, the pieces should all be finished the
same. Single piece baseboard is the most common
modern type, double piece that includes a "base
shoe" is probably more common that a double piece
that includes quarter round. Then of course there
are even more complicated wood trims that have at
least 3 pieces.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray

Ah ha. That use of "toe kick" is confusing. Toe kick usually refers to
the space under a cabinet. Yet the OP didn't say anything about cabinets
and asked if the quarter round should be the same as the "baseboard
molding." That two is confusing since the proper term is just baseboard
(it is normally molded).

Actually, I probably should have said "shoe molding" (which is the quarter
round). And it is for walls, not cabinets. And there are actually three
pieces, the molding, and ogee cap and the quarter round shoe. Sorry for the
confusion.

But then again, you should have said "too" instead of "two" )

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
C & E wrote:
"Ray" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
betsy

After looking at quite a few houses while house hunting, I decided that
the better maintained homes had the quarter round finished to match the
floor.

--Betsy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

" If a room has hardwood floors and baseboard molding,

Why are you using 1/4 round ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

"Rudy" wrote in message
Why are you using 1/4 round ?

Probably because he can't cut the boards accurately... grin

Or didn't want to take off the original baseboards on the walls?

Perhaps one of the floating floor type systems?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray

Probably because he can't cut the boards accurately... grin

Or didn't want to take off the original baseboards on the walls?

Actually, they are the original 6" baseboards with ogee caps and hardwood
floor, circa 1920. A previous owner of the house carpeted over the floor
and up over the baseboards (believe it or not) to make a sort of "carpet
pit"

The carpet installer removed the original shoe molding to put the tack
strips down. Now that I'm liberating the original floors, I need to
re-install the shoe molding.

See, simple reason... grin

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
"Rudy" wrote in message
Why are you using 1/4 round ?

Probably because he can't cut the boards accurately... grin

Or didn't want to take off the original baseboards on the walls?

Perhaps one of the floating floor type systems?

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Ray wrote:
Ah ha. That use of "toe kick" is confusing. Toe kick usually refers to
the space under a cabinet. Yet the OP didn't say anything about cabinets
and asked if the quarter round should be the same as the "baseboard
molding." That two is confusing since the proper term is just baseboard
(it is normally molded).

Actually, I probably should have said "shoe molding" (which is the quarter
round). And it is for walls, not cabinets. And there are actually three
pieces, the molding, and ogee cap and the quarter round shoe. Sorry for the
confusion.

But then again, you should have said "too" instead of "two" )

Actually I did say too, my fingers just typed two;
my fingers often type homophones. Started about
3 or 4 years ago, age maybe, or the computer
switches it. I prefer the latter explanation.

However, shoe is a molding so the word "molding"
is redundant. But, shoe and quarter round are not
the same. Quarter round is a quarter of a round,
shoe is not, one flat edge is longer than the other.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
my fingers often type homophones.