Posted to alt.home.repair
sssar4151

Default architectural shingles

what tab(three or four) is the same thing as architectural shingles?
Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

In the construction industry, when something is labeled
"architectural" it usually means something above average, more
expensive, fancier, not the normal plain Jane version.

An example, solid core flush doors come as builders grade and
architectural grade. Same door, fancier grain matching on the
exterior veneers.

I would imagine number of tabs has nothing to do with
architectural shingles. I'm sure the reference has to do with a 3
dimensional shingle like Timberlines or equal.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"sssar4151" wrote in message
news:c1f246d43dceed55c80e9d48af96045a@homerepairli ve.com...
what tab(three or four) is the same thing as architectural
shingles?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

sssar4151 wrote:
what tab(three or four) is the same thing as architectural shingles?

I would guess either. It has more to do with the thickness and
coloring. I am not at all sure there is a "standard" accepted definition
of what an architectural shingle is.

Generally they are thicker and have a less even color than standard
three tab. While I believe at least some architectural shingles are four
tab, I don't believe that is a requirement.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I would guess either. It has more to do with the thickness and
coloring. I am not at all sure there is a "standard" accepted definition
of what an architectural shingle is.

Generally they are thicker and have a less even color than standard
three tab. While I believe at least some architectural shingles are four
tab, I don't believe that is a requirement.

I though architectural shingles have no tabs. Certainteed calls them
designer shingles and standard shingles (most are based on three tabs)

GAF calls them three tab or architectural, as well as the premium designer.
http://www.gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp?Silo=RES1&WS=GAF

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I would guess either. It has more to do with the thickness and
coloring. I am not at all sure there is a "standard" accepted definition
of what an architectural shingle is.

Generally they are thicker and have a less even color than standard
three tab. While I believe at least some architectural shingles are four
tab, I don't believe that is a requirement.

I though architectural shingles have no tabs. Certainteed calls them
designer shingles and standard shingles (most are based on three tabs)

GAF calls them three tab or architectural, as well as the premium designer.
http://www.gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp?Silo=RES1&WS=GAF

We were just cleaning up the architectural shingle definition and you
throw in a quote to "designer" shingles. What in tarnation does that
mean?! "I can't afford the Designer Shingles. Just give me the one's
that weren't designed."

There's an easy to remember heirarchy:

Term Relative Cost
Architecural Above average
Architecture Well above average
Architect Gimme your wallet

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

so then what do you call a 5-tab shingle, like the Slateline?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"marson" wrote in message
oups.com...
so then what do you call a 5-tab shingle, like the Slateline?

GAF calls them Preminum Designer