Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to hang towel rod

A towel rod pulled loose in my bathroom -- predictably, since whoever
installed it just used screws into drywall. However, in trying to
rehang it, I learned that there is not enough room between the drywall
and whatever's behind it to get a toggle bolt in (can't drive the bolt
through far enough for the toggle to open). I've tried every size and
type of toggle bolt, molly bolt, etc., the hardware store has to offer
-- none will fit far enough into the hole for the
toggles/flanges/whatever to open. Whatever is behind the drywall is
HARD (like concrete hard).

For the time being, I've rigged it up by spackling one of those ribbed
plastic plugs into place (and I had to cut that off -- I would estimate
there is no more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch of room behind the drywall) to
put the screw into, but after a few months, that has become loose
(spackle is giving way). What is the right way for me to fasten this
towel rod to the wall?

Thanks in advance,
Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Would one of these work?

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...infanchor.shtm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is this on an outside wall? If so, is it block or brick? If that is
the case, you will have to either bore into the block or brick and use
a concrete anchor. Or see if the rack can be moved, such that you can
screw right into the 1x4s that are probably attached to the block.

An easier solution is to cut a slit vertically or horizonally to allow
the open molly to go behind the drywall, and then rotate 90 degrees.

If this in an inside wall, be careful since you may have run into a
water pipe or such.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 20 Apr 2006 06:44:22 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Mounting board attached to the furring strips that are almost
certainly under the drywall, and then attach the towel rod to
the mounting board.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Goedjn" wrote in message
Mounting board attached to the furring strips that are almost
certainly under the drywall, and then attach the towel rod to
the mounting board.

That is probably the easiest and can be made decorative. Next would be to
find out what is behind the drywall and anchor into that material.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good suggestions, thanks! It's an outside wall and the house is wood
frame. Whatever is behind there is rock hard, though. The house is
+100 years old so could be something from an old repair or "whatever."
Going behind the drywall to figure out what's there is probably more
work than I'm ready to go to just to fix a towel bar.

I tried every kind of fastener shown on that web site and kept running
into the "no room behind the wall" problem. Cutting a slit may work
(I'm better than halfway there now, with the size of hole that has been
created putting in and taking out various anchors), and I like the
mounting board idea a lot, too.

Thanks again for the help!

Jo Ann