Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Default homerepairalive

What is up with the questions from this site? I'm certainly not an
expert on every home repair topic but some of these questions border on
the absurd.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mikeytag

Ray,
I think the main problem was that HomeRepairLive was making it too easy for
novices to post and not educating them as to proper newsgroup etiquette and
such. This morning I checked http://www.homerepairlive.com/?post=new and it
looks like they are starting to educate users better. Judging by this
better post:
http://www.homerepairlive.com/thread...he+shower.html
it looks like they might be on a better track.
The site makes it so easy to post that many newbies to newsgroups and home
repair just thought, "Oh, I ask any question and someone answers it." This
is not how usenet works and it takes helpful replies as well as questions
to make the system beneficial to everyone. It looks like they are on the
right track now, it will be interesting to see what posts the site brings
today. Yesterday's posts were mostly absurd like you say. My favorite
being:

shingles
how do I install them?

And a great reply by Edwin
NAILS

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

mikeytag wrote:

[...]

It's AOhelL / WebTV syndrome, the more you dumb down the user interface,
the more dumb users you get.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:10:18 -0500, "mikeytag"
wrote:

[...]

The site is a "discussion group" and "newsgroups" are not the same.
Messages in a discussion group ought to remain on the site for those
users and not ported to a newsgroup. AKA SPAM.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Xeno Chauvin

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
What is up with the questions from this site? I'm certainly not an
expert on every home repair topic but some of these questions border on
the absurd.

It must be wonderful to have come into this world
with ALL it's knowledge.
The rest of us ask "dumb" questions hoping for an "intelligent" answer
not a "smart " answer.
Sorry to have taken up your valuable time.
Xeno

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:40:40 GMT, "Xeno Chauvin"
wrote:

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
What is up with the questions from this site? I'm certainly not an
expert on every home repair topic but some of these questions border on
the absurd.

It must be wonderful to have come into this world
with ALL it's knowledge.
The rest of us ask "dumb" questions hoping for an "intelligent" answer
not a "smart " answer.
Sorry to have taken up your valuable time.
Xeno

Let me guess. You found a turd in your corn flakes? The OP originated
this thread - as best I can tell. What was "smart"? Many people here
thought, in fact that posts coming from "that site" were strange (SPAM
- inclusive).

Like "drywaller" asking about friggin' dry wall. Get a date.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison

Xeno Chauvin wrote:

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...

What is up with the questions from this site? I'm certainly not an
expert on every home repair topic but some of these questions border on
the absurd.

It must be wonderful to have come into this world
with ALL it's knowledge.
The rest of us ask "dumb" questions hoping for an "intelligent" answer
not a "smart " answer.
Sorry to have taken up your valuable time.
Xeno

There is a difference between dumb questions and absurd
questions. To give you an example, you are being absurd.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

"Xeno Chauvin" wrote in message
It must be wonderful to have come into this world
with ALL it's knowledge.

It definitely is... You should try it next time...

Sorry to have taken up your valuable time.

"Welcome to USENET... Has anyone told you to **** off yet?"

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hogwild

Personally, I have no problem with people asking stupid questions. It
saves me from doing it - sometimes.

The concept that people would do so not for knowledge but some
finacial reward does offend me.

How much is a stupid question worth these days anyways?