Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Cutting wood flooring

I am going to cut some of the wooden flooring panels to make inserts in
furniture making.

Is there a difference in these flooring materials? Are some more composite
than others? Some have more actual wood in them? Brand name differences?
Does this stuff cut well with a table saw? Suggestions on blades? Other
tips and caveats? All cuts will be straight.

I am ASSuming that the stuff will be pretty durable, as it IS designed to be
walked on.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

You're just going to have to go to the store and select the stock based on
what you see. Flooring is all over the map in terms of how much veneer vs.
substrate wood is used. Samples may be available from websites.

In terms of a blade, I don't have a specific recommendation just more teeth
and carbide tipped in general. You are probably going to have to router the
edges anyway (or something) to get it to fit in the furniture

"Steve B" wrote in message
newscc1g.715$QP4.539@fed1read12...
I am going to cut some of the wooden flooring panels to make inserts in
furniture making.

Is there a difference in these flooring materials? Are some more
composite than others? Some have more actual wood in them? Brand name
differences? Does this stuff cut well with a table saw? Suggestions on
blades? Other tips and caveats? All cuts will be straight.

I am ASSuming that the stuff will be pretty durable, as it IS designed to
be walked on.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve B" wrote in message
newscc1g.715$QP4.539@fed1read12...
I am going to cut some of the wooden flooring panels to make inserts in
furniture making.

Is there a difference in these flooring materials? Are some more
composite than others? Some have more actual wood in them? Brand name
differences? Does this stuff cut well with a table saw? Suggestions on
blades? Other tips and caveats? All cuts will be straight.

I am ASSuming that the stuff will be pretty durable, as it IS designed to
be walked on.

There are all types of flooring. Real wood, engineered wood, laminate that
looks like wood and more.

Not knowing just what you want to do, I cant say what you need, but a good
carbide blade is a good start. At a minimum, a Freud Diablo for about $50
and up to about $130 for better blades. If you are talking about composites,
you will need the blade sharpened when you re done too. Tough stuff to cut.

Get back with more information for better recommendations.