Posted to alt.home.repair
Jason

Default Laminate and floor gap...

Installed a Laminate floor for the first time yesterday...although it
went quite well it was far from perfect. We have some spots that are
just under a inch from the wall from the flooring. I know baseboard
will cut this down (the gap), but what is the best way of hiding this
gap?

Baseboard and shoe molding? or do they make baseboard at around 1"
thick? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

baseboard and shoe molding would be the standard way of dealing with
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the gap is small enough, you can insert a shim between the lower
portion of the baseboard and the wall. The top of the baseboard is in
the same location it would be without the shim, while the bottom of the
baseboard is 'pushed' slightly away from the wall.

I did it along one 15" wall in my house after a hardwood installation.
I dry-fitted some cardboard 'shims' (from a box of hardwood of course!)
behind the baseboard, and once I verified that the gap was covered I
simply tacked it in place. I can't tell the difference, and my wife
was pleased enough

Realize that this technique has it's limitations. Trying to cover a
large gap may give you undesired results...but it doesn't really hurt
to dry-fit!

Good luck,
Dave

Jason wrote:
Installed a Laminate floor for the first time yesterday...although it
went quite well it was far from perfect. We have some spots that are
just under a inch from the wall from the flooring. I know baseboard
will cut this down (the gap), but what is the best way of hiding this
gap?

Baseboard and shoe molding? or do they make baseboard at around 1"
thick? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jason

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 06:44:25 -0400, Jason {AM
wrote:

Installed a Laminate floor for the first time yesterday...although it
went quite well it was far from perfect. We have some spots that are
just under a inch from the wall from the flooring. I know baseboard
will cut this down (the gap), but what is the best way of hiding this
gap?

Baseboard and shoe molding? or do they make baseboard at around 1"
thick? Thanks

Thanks for all the replies everyone...I just did some
measuring...seems the gaps are about 3/4 inch and less
around the whole floor. So do they make baseboard molding that
would cover that gap alone?
Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

yes they do. you can order a 3/4" base trim (www.ferche.com for
example) from lumberyards.. you could also make it in pieces--a 1x4
with a piece of cove molding on top, for one example. but why would you
resist base shoe? one thing nice about a shoe is that it can be forced
to follow the contours of the floor, it can cover the gap between the
floor and the base trim.