Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Jones

Default Minor remodel order of items?

I am going to have most of the interior of my house repainted and also have
new tile installed in the entry, kitchen, hallways and bathrooms. New
carpet will be installed in the rest of the house around the same time. The
work will be done by contractors.
What order should it be done?
Should the painting be done fiirst so there is no worry of paint spilling on
new carpet or should the tile and carpet be done so there is no worry of the
new paint getting damaged during the tile and carpet installs?
Does it matter if tile is done before carpet or vice versa?

I also plan to have plasma screen wall mounted with the cabling for the TV
hidden in the wall as well as hiding all the cabling for the stereo, DVR and
DVD player by snaking through the wall.
I want to have shelving installed on the wall below the plasma TV to support
the AV equipment so nothing touches the floor which should be a clean look
an easy access for vacumming. Should this be done before or after painting?
If it's done before painting, the plasma tv and mount will all have to be
dissassembled and remounted after painting, but if it's done after, the
installation may damage the new paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

If I was the painter I like bare floors, If the carpet man unpainted
walls. The carpet guy will likely hit walls making touch ups necessary.
Its done both ways everyday, a pro painter is carefull and has
insurance.

You should get a better price painting first and will have no wall
repair dust in your new carpet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You are asking us to think for you.
Assuming you've noted everything to be done:
1. anything that may require holes in or damage walls.
there is no point in painting something that will be cut or nicked.
2. big mess items like tile.
mortar and tile can make a mess.
3. things that might drip on other things like paint.
cabinet work and floors should be carefully protected.
there will be mess.
4. things that would be hard to remove paint from like carpet.
It's easier to touch up paint than to clean carpet.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom W

It all depends on the way YOU want it done. Personally, I would paint
first (with eveything off the wall) and then have the flooring laid.
That way you don't have contractor walking through your house on your
new carpet with dirty boots. And like the other posts, I agree that
paint and tile laying can really make a mess. Besides, it's easier to
paint without anything on the walls and no trim. It'll be done quicker
and if your painter is charging by the hour, it should cost you less.

BES ...Incomplete Order Stuart UK diy 5 March 23rd 06 11:16 PM
Projection TV: 3 replacement screens PROPER ORDER...help needed [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 October 8th 05 10:14 PM
Tool purchase order... Buster Woodworking 16 October 3rd 05 09:41 PM
Mail order limbo - an extra dimension? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 22 November 17th 03 08:05 PM