Posted to alt.home.repair
les

Default any good FAQ's for crawlspaces ?

I have lots of questions about crawlspaces that I want to understand, and
need a reference for this topic.
Among other things, I wonder about radon possibilites, humidity issues,
suggested
ways to counteract these problems, ventilation suggestions, etc.
I want to use this large area for storage, but foresee trouble.

Thanks for any pointers. Les

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

you know the short answer is a garage sale
the long technical answers are at:
http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/homeowner.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Stootzmann

Another excellent place to check out that has done me a lot of good in
working on my own crawl space is:
http://www.advancedenergy.org/buildi.../crawl_spaces/

"les" wrote in message ...
I have lots of questions about crawlspaces that I want to understand, and
need a reference for this topic.
Among other things, I wonder about radon possibilites, humidity issues,
suggested
ways to counteract these problems, ventilation suggestions, etc.
I want to use this large area for storage, but foresee trouble.

Thanks for any pointers. Les

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

I have lots of questions about crawlspaces that I want to understand, and
need a reference for this topic.
Among other things, I wonder about radon possibilites, humidity issues,
suggested ways to counteract these problems, ventilation suggestions,
etc. I want to use this large area for storage, but foresee trouble.

When we built our house (2003-2004), we were required to have 1 square foot
of perimeter venting for every 150 square feet of the crawlspace, placing
vents as close to the corners as possible and providing cross ventilation
(so you get air movement through the crawlspace). We added a few extra
vents just to be safe.

The ground in the crawlspace also had to be covered with a layer of 6-mil
plastic. I installed a 2" layer of pea gravel before laying down the
plastic for better drainage and to prevent small sticks or rocks from
poking holes in the plastic. It's also a bit easier on the knees when
crawling around down there.

The ground outside the house should slope away from the house to direct any
surface water (rain) away from the foundation. Make sure gutter downspouts
are directed well away from the foundation too.

If you have a high water table, or water is otherwise getting into your
crawlspace, you should slope the ground in the crawlspace to a point where
you can install a sump pump to pump out the water (away from the house, of
course).

The foundation walls should be waterproofed on the outside, and you should
have a perimeter "french drain" running around the house to take any water
that finds it's way down the foundation wall out away from the house,
instead of getting into your crawlspace.

We live in Washington state where we get lots of rain, and our crawlspace
is nice and dry.

If you plan on storing anything down there, be sure you protect the plastic
vapor barrier so it isn't damaged. Maybe planks set up on blocks or
something.

Good luck,

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Elliott P

Get a headlamp so that you can free your hands.

A headlamp can also keep you from hitting your head on beams.

Don't let your dog follow you in or s/he will find all of the dead
animals (and living ones too!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Climate and local subsurface conditions have some bearing on the
approach.
Builder's Guide to various climates are available on Building Science
Corp web site.
They are not well organized and don't have "the final answer" but can
be valuable.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

"les" wrote in message ...
I have lots of questions about crawlspaces that I want to understand, and
need a reference for this topic.

The ones provided by Bill and Jay are a couple of the best that I've seen.

Among other things, I wonder about radon possibilites,

Simple, home sampling kits are available at Lowes and Home Despot (hehe).
You send it off to a lab for the results.

humidity issues, suggested ways to counteract these problems, ventilation
suggestions, etc.

See above oted references.