Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

Default Estimating volume of construction debris

Hello,

I'm going to be stripping my house of wood sidewall shingles, and I'm
trying to estimate the size of dumpster or debris box I'll need. I
know what the volume of the new replacement shingles will be, but
those are packed very tightly in cartons with almost no wasted space.
What sort of multiplication factor should I use to estimate the volume
that the shingles would take up loose in a dumpster?

Thanks, Wayne

P.S. For specifics, at the moment I need to remove 300 square feet of
18" cedar shingles installed with a 4.25" exposure. A box of new
shingles covers 30 square feet at that exposure and is about 0.10
cubic yards in volume. So the replacement shingles, tightly packed,
will be about 1.0 cubic yards. What will the volume of the torn-off
shingles be?

Posted to alt.home.repair

double it at least, it largely depends on how well you pack the
dumpster....plus tar paper, plus new shingle wrapping, the bigger the
dumpster the better the price.

another issue is how long you have the dumpster, every week costs
more...

how fast can you and ??? do the job

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm going to be stripping my house of wood sidewall shingles, and I'm
trying to estimate the size of dumpster or debris box I'll need. I
know what the volume of the new replacement shingles will be, but
those are packed very tightly in cartons with almost no wasted space.
What sort of multiplication factor should I use to estimate the volume
that the shingles would take up loose in a dumpster?

Thanks, Wayne

P.S. For specifics, at the moment I need to remove 300 square feet of
18" cedar shingles installed with a 4.25" exposure. A box of new
shingles covers 30 square feet at that exposure and is about 0.10
cubic yards in volume. So the replacement shingles, tightly packed,
will be about 1.0 cubic yards. What will the volume of the torn-off
shingles be?

For a job that small I would just feed them through the normal trash for a
few weeks.

That is nothing more than a full size PU truck load.

Are you sure you want a dumpster for the hood to fill for you?

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

On 2006-04-11, Colbyt wrote:

For a job that small I would just feed them through the normal trash for a
few weeks.

Well, my normal trash is a 20 gallon can, which is about 0.1 yards. 2
yards of waste is way too much for that.

That is nothing more than a full size PU truck load.

Yeah, I could rent one for a few hours. I was hoping I could get a
one-time delivery of a front load bin (1-6 yards with wheels), instead
of a 12 yard debris box, but that doesn't seem possible.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
Well, my normal trash is a 20 gallon can, which is about 0.1 yards. 2
yards of waste is way too much for that.
Cheers, Wayne

Are you not a normal American? 1-20 gallon can per week?

Beware of Consumer Construction, Inc. KenSpalding Home Repair 1 December 27th 05 01:31 AM
Woodturning e-Book and DVD Video, Vol. 2 Steve Russell Woodturning 1 January 20th 05 08:45 AM
Construction Loan Terri Home Ownership 2 November 1st 04 06:13 PM
Pioneer Model RX-1190 Stereo Cassette Deck Receiver - NO VOLUME Ron Novini Electronics Repair 4 March 20th 04 09:54 AM