Posted to alt.home.repair
Alex

Default Patio Expansion and Cover -- comments please

Hello all,

Our concrete patio is currently about 10'x10x and we hope to make it
more like 15'x12'x plus add a cover. We live in Central Texas (just
outside of Austin) and we were wondering if our budget of $2000 sounds
reasonable to have this done. We're not looking for anything fancy,
just a basic cover that will keep us under shade and something that we
might be able to attach an outdoor ceiling fan to.

Just checking if we have budgeted too low or if anyone has suggestions
for a possible DYI kit for such a project.

Thanks --

Alex

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Alex" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,

Our concrete patio is currently about 10'x10x and we hope to make it
more like 15'x12'x plus add a cover. We live in Central Texas (just
outside of Austin) and we were wondering if our budget of $2000 sounds
reasonable to have this done. We're not looking for anything fancy,
just a basic cover that will keep us under shade and something that we
might be able to attach an outdoor ceiling fan to.

Just checking if we have budgeted too low or if anyone has suggestions
for a possible DYI kit for such a project.

Thanks --

Alex

It all depends on the materials you pick. Overall you have 180 SF of cover
and 80SF of new floor and 180SF of flooring material.

If you just expand the floor using concrete you mix yourself that won't cost
much (say $250 including mixer rental) leaving you $1750 or just under $10
per SF to buy cover material. If you want more than a very simple floor,
you'll have to split the budget. If you don't go overboard with premium
materials, you can fit it in.

A post and beam Arbor style frame with canvas cover material or even a full
hard roof with shingles should be within reach. You will have nothing for
labor though.

I would make a simple concrete floor and stain it for now with the intention
of covering with some stone (flagstone, slate, pavers, whatever) later.