Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Thompson

Default ducts and vents on heat pump/ac system

have one story house with large loft. One intake for HVAC system is in
on main (1st) floor in hall and and second is in loft (both same size).
Three output vents in loft. Twelve output vents on 1st floor.
Capacity of unit adequate for size of house but loft does not cool down
enough in summer. No prob in winter with heat because heat rises from
1st floor. Will I tax the unit too much if I close five or six of the
of the output vents on the first floor in order to force more cold air
through the three output vents in the loft. Seems to me it would just
make the the air move faster (more cubic feet per minute), but I don't
want to risk damaging my unit by doing this.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Frank Thompson wrote:
have one story house with large loft. One intake for HVAC system is
in on main (1st) floor in hall and and second is in loft (both same
size). Three output vents in loft. Twelve output vents on 1st floor.
Capacity of unit adequate for size of house but loft does not cool
down enough in summer. No prob in winter with heat because heat
rises from 1st floor. Will I tax the unit too much if I close five or
six of the of the output vents on the first floor in order to force
more cold air through the three output vents in the loft. Seems to
me it would just make the the air move faster (more cubic feet per
minute), but I don't want to risk damaging my unit by doing this.

Likely. Someone would need to do some numbers of the system. My guess
is you need more capacity of supply and likely return to the loft.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

New thermostat ~~~AAA~~~ Home Repair 5 March 1st 06 02:20 PM
Return ducts in basement reducing heating efficiency?! jeff Home Repair 5 November 9th 04 09:38 PM
No heat in basement Sid Waine Home Repair 6 January 15th 04 09:20 PM
turn-off: Texas heat pump sellers slow to give "happy-user" refs Mike Heatley Home Ownership 1 September 3rd 03 05:18 PM
struggling to find happy heat pump users, DFW TX mheatley Home Repair 2 August 25th 03 01:27 PM