Posted to alt.home.repair
jtpr

Default Get wood stove to hold a burn overnight?

I just got a used Jotul wood stove with a catalytic converter. What
would be the best way to maximize it's burn time? I would like it to
hold a burn overnight (~8hrs). Should I put it in catalytic converter
mode and shut it down completely or just shut it down with out using
the CC? My old stove didn't have a CC so I'm not sure about when/how
to use it.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

jtpr wrote:
I just got a used Jotul wood stove with a catalytic converter. What
would be the best way to maximize it's burn time? I would like it to
hold a burn overnight (~8hrs). Should I put it in catalytic converter
mode and shut it down completely or just shut it down with out using
the CC? My old stove didn't have a CC so I'm not sure about when/how
to use it.

Thanks,
Jim

I have a Vermont Casting with a CC. I can throttle it down to burn 8-10
hours, depending on type of wood, by adjusting the air intake. However
when you do that, the CC is not operating because there is not enough
heat generated to get the CC up to a high enough temp to be effective.
So hot temp/short burn = cleaner air, but low temp/long burn = standard
wood stove air.

Bob S.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jtpr

OK, so if I understand you correctly...

I shouldn't bother with the CC if I shut the air down all the way as it
won't do anything anyway. So it is just like a "regular" stove, just
load it up and shut down the air intake to maximize fire life.

-Jim