Posted to alt.home.repair
this_is_so_over_done

Default Slater STSP 115AC wall switch, dangerous?

I couldn't find a part number on this cheap all plastic Slater wall
switch. I
guess I wouldn't have put one on either, a part number I mean.

This is the third one I've had to replace. Two because they got hot.
One becasue it 'crackeled'. You could hear it 10 feet away.
I've had the house for 15 years and would expect a wall switch
to last 30. Is that unreasonable?

These switches don't have much, if any, detent, so I wonder if
the blackened mess inside is do to 'partial' offs. This was
an Orren Thompson(?) home. This switch is so cheap!

Is this a standard switch?

I think I'll just start slowly replacing them all.

They also put an AL socket for power on the outside. It
"rusted" and the heat melted my xmas lights cord. I replaced
it with an all CU unit ($5). I surprised that the socket failed and/or
a house hasn't burned down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whenever you replace a switch like that because of repeated failures
you should still check out the other parts of the circuit...just for
safetys sake.

Im not familiar with that switch but it seems like a switch like that
repeatedly failing should be brought to the manufacturers attention.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 2 Apr 2006 15:11:44 -0700, "this_is_so_over_done"
wrote:

I couldn't find a part number on this cheap all plastic Slater wall
switch. I

All plastic. Including the part where it screws to the wall, that is
always metal?

guess I wouldn't have put one on either, a part number I mean.

This is the third one I've had to replace. Two because they got hot.

The first reply assumes this means in the same spot.I thought
otherwise.

I guess I would check the others.

One becasue it 'crackeled'. You could hear it 10 feet away.
I've had the house for 15 years and would expect a wall switch
to last 30. Is that unreasonable?

I expect them to last 75 or 100. Of course even the house I was born
in is only 70 years old now. I'll go back and check in a couple years
if they still have the same switches. I'll bet they do. Nothing ever
changes in my home town.

Well, the house I live in I consider New, and it's 27 years old and
nothing has failed. Except the water heater and the Delta one=handle
kitchen faucet. Same furnace, washer, dryer, fridge, oven,
dishwasher. I did have to repair the replace the furnace squirrel
cage, and then the fan itself, and I had to fiddle with a relay on the
circuit board. Ok the more I think of it's not "nothing", but no
switches, receptacles or light fixture....well I used bulbs too bright
in the globe covered fixture in the kitchen and the plastic?
surrounding the socket crumbled on 1 or 2 of the three. But that's my
fault. I was supposed to stick with 60 watts for a total of 180.

These switches don't have much, if any, detent, so I wonder if
the blackened mess inside is do to 'partial' offs. This was
an Orren Thompson(?) home. This switch is so cheap!

Is this a standard switch?

I think I'll just start slowly replacing them all.

They also put an AL socket for power on the outside. It

You mean the outside of the house?