Posted to alt.home.repair

Default James Bonding my home

Hi,

I'm pretty handy and have also done some electrical work (installing
track lights).

Now I want to install a video projector, but one that would hide inside
my ceiling (there is space) and come out on demand. Here's what
envision: I press a button on a remote control and these little doors
slide open and a projector slides down. Now, I don't know how feasible
it is or where to begin looking for parts. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ted

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm pretty handy and have also done some electrical work (installing
track lights).

Now I want to install a video projector, but one that would hide inside
my ceiling (there is space) and come out on demand. Here's what
envision: I press a button on a remote control and these little doors
slide open and a projector slides down. Now, I don't know how feasible
it is or where to begin looking for parts. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

I would start on Google, but you can also go to your local high end
audio/video shop which specializes in custom home theater. Even if you
don't buy a unit from them, many times they have gizmo's like that. Maybe
you can tell them what you want and at least get an idea if it's even
possible.

Also, you should probably ask your question on these forums, if you can
stand the color:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php?

possibly the " Dedicated Theater Design & Construction " section

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

wrote:
Hi,

I'm pretty handy and have also done some electrical work (installing
track lights).

Now I want to install a video projector, but one that would hide inside
my ceiling (there is space) and come out on demand. Here's what
envision: I press a button on a remote control and these little doors
slide open and a projector slides down. Now, I don't know how feasible
it is or where to begin looking for parts. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

see
www.mountsandmore.com for parts ideas or an outright purchase.

Mechanically simplest is the one that uses two front surface mirrors.
Projector is fixed in place, pointing away from the screen. A mirror at
an angle (??45??) directs projector light downwards. A small motor then
lowers the second mirror on command (when the projector is turned on) so
that the light has a clear path to the screen.

See http://www.mountsandmore.com/Draper-...153DR1898.html

A fully programmable remote, and some relay interfaces on you AV
equipment and you are good to go.

It may be cheaper to hide the projector behind the far wall, and cut a
porthole, add a suitable frame and let the whole thing disappear ALL the
time. The only reason for access is to change the lamp!!!

Be aware that most home projectors need a room that is very nearly as
dark as a movie theater to be effective. Open skylights, open doors to
the outside, uncovered windows, bare bulb lamps, etc, will WASH out the
image
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 11:55:23 GMT, Robert Gammon

[...]

Trouble with that is that the projector likely produces a LOT
of heat, and you probably don't want it up inside the
ceiling while it's on, unless you power-vent the box it's in.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Goedjn wrote:
[...]

Yes the projectors run hot, they after all use 250W or greater lamps in
them. Yes the box needs ventilation. The AV contractor I am working
with says projectors run for years in boxes that have temps in the
90-100F range when operating.

The solution with the mirrors keeps it hidden and is mechanically
simpler than most others. However the purchased solution on the web
site is $2500.

So the cheapest solution is a projector stand that protrudes thru the
ceiling. These go for $110-$250.

Lift and lower mounts are as expensive as the mirror solution and can
run much higher in price.