Posted to alt.home.repair
RB

Default how do i do this?

I'm trying to build an antenna with a base section of pvc. I can use from
1/2" od to 1" od with no problems.

What I need to do is join a schedule 40 pvc nipple to a male 1"x14 threaded
stud.

I don't believe any std pipe thread and size will match up with that.

If it won't, I thought about using 3/4" pvc and running a tap into the open
end, and then screwing that down onto the male mounting stud (the 1" x 14).

Is a 1"x14 tap fairly common? Will my way work?

Anyone have an easier way?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bennett Price

Could you use a male iron pipe nipple and pvc threaded female?

Appropriate 1" x14 tap readily available ($25) at, e.g.,
http://www.e-taps.com/ofertapage%20020.html (Just google "machine taps")

but I wonder whether you'll have enough thickness of pvc to withstand
wind load/weight of antenna.

Is the antenna to be made of plastic, not metal? Must be metal.

RB wrote:
I'm trying to build an antenna with a base section of pvc. I can use from
1/2" od to 1" od with no problems.

What I need to do is join a schedule 40 pvc nipple to a male 1"x14 threaded
stud.

I don't believe any std pipe thread and size will match up with that.

If it won't, I thought about using 3/4" pvc and running a tap into the open
end, and then screwing that down onto the male mounting stud (the 1" x 14).

Is a 1"x14 tap fairly common? Will my way work?

Anyone have an easier way?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RB

Good question. But, no. I am stuck with having to use the poly 1"x14
threaded stud. It's an integral part of a tilting base assy I need in order
for the antenna to be able to be laid down on occasion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Use a PVC cap (male or female your choice) drill a hole to fit the threaded
stud (bolt) and then use an appropriate washers and nut on the other side to
secure it to the PVC cap. Now glue the cap onto the PVC pipe.

To make it more secure, fill the section with epoxy and reinforce as
required.

"RB" wrote in message
Good question. But, no. I am stuck with having to use the poly 1"x14
threaded stud. It's an integral part of a tilting base assy I need in
order for the antenna to be able to be laid down on occasion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:02:38 -0600, "RB"
wrote:

Good question. But, no. I am stuck with having to use the poly 1"x14
threaded stud. It's an integral part of a tilting base assy I need in order
for the antenna to be able to be laid down on occasion.

How long is this stud? Can't you just use a hose-clamp? It's not
like a PVC pipe is going to take any significant torque, anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RB

Thanks, Pipedown. I can work with that approach.

For Goedjin: not sure I follow. Are you thinking slip a 1" pvc mast down
over the stud and then put a hose clamp around it? If so, that wouldn't
work for my application.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:55:52 -0600, "RB"
wrote:

Thanks, Pipedown. I can work with that approach.

For Goedjin: not sure I follow. Are you thinking slip a 1" pvc mast down
over the stud and then put a hose clamp around it? If so, that wouldn't
work for my application.

I was actually thinking stick the pipe down NEXT to the stud, and
hose-clamp it. But I like the pipe-cap, washer, and nut idea better.
Or you could build a bracket out of strap-iron.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RB

Thanks for all the ideas.