Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recessed Lighting.. what bulb size for basement?

Hi all,

I'm just starting the electrical on my basement re-model... I have
chosen 6" recessed lights for my family room and office areas. The
cans will be about 5-6 feet apart.. the ceilings are 8 feet high.

In the 17x19 family room, I have 3 rows of 3 cans (9 total) with one
extra over a small countertop/bar area. The office is about 14x16 and
will have 5 total cans. I'm thinking 65-75w incandescant floods are
the most cost effective way to go...

My dilemma seems to be what size bulbs to use, BR30 floods or BR40 size
floods... The size will determine which trim I buy... If I buy the
BR40 rated trim, the BR30 bulbs will look stupid in them since I can
then see around the bulb into the can... If I buy the BR30 rated trims,
I can't safely use a BR40 size bulb?

Any idea which size bulb would be better used in a basement application
the BR30 or BR40? Is it just personal preference? Any one know what
the more standardized size would be for basement can lights? Once I
decide on a bulb type, I can decide on the trim I need...

Any comments appreciated!

Thanks,

Tony B.