Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Dark pressure treated wood

"Evon Barvinchack" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm getting ready to build a new deck. I would like to put the Letter "B"
in
the middle of the deck. Does anyone know if there any dark woods like
walnut
that is pressure treated? I asked at HD & Lowes and they said no.

NO, there are not. Use a different wood that does not need treatment.
Ipe, mahogany, would be my first choices, Spanish cedar, cedar, redwood
would be next. These woods have natural resistance to weather. If I was
building a deck I'd use one of them over pressure treated anyway. Much
richer looking, very durable. Put a coat of Penofin oil on them every few
years and you are good for 50+ years of life. Walnut may be OK with a
good oil, but it is much more costly and not as durable as the ones I've
mentioned.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Evon Barvinchack" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm getting ready to build a new deck. I would like to put the Letter "B"
in
the middle of the deck. Does anyone know if there any dark woods like
walnut
that is pressure treated? I asked at HD & Lowes and they said no.

There are small companies in my area which pressure treat wood. You
can hire them by the board foot to treat your wood, any wood you like.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

[...]

Though I agree with the above (and don't forget Teak), you can get a similar
effect to pressure treating by applying a wood preservative with the same
ingredients, it just won't sink in as deep. Jasco is a brand that comes to
mind
http://www.jasco-help.com/products/prod_wp.htm