DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bath tub chip repair (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/149876-bath-tub-chip-repair.html)

[email protected] March 20th 06 02:48 AM

Bath tub chip repair

I just applied the porcelain chip repair in my bathtub. Now, after it
dries (perhaps a day or two), it will show as a blob. What is the best
way to buff it down so it's smooth?
Also, while on the subject, the bottom of my bathtub has become quite
rough, due to a mat I kept there for a number of years. Is there any
way to make it nice and slippery as the sides? Maybe with some enamel
spray and buff?

Thanks in advance...

Vijay

Joseph Meehan March 20th 06 11:47 AM

Bath tub chip repair

wrote:
I just applied the porcelain chip repair in my bathtub. Now, after it
dries (perhaps a day or two), it will show as a blob. What is the best
way to buff it down so it's smooth?
Also, while on the subject, the bottom of my bathtub has become quite
rough, due to a mat I kept there for a number of years. Is there any
way to make it nice and slippery as the sides? Maybe with some enamel
spray and buff?

Thanks in advance...

Vijay

I doubt if there is anyway of eliminating the blob without redoing it.
As for the mat, that is a problem. I suggest some automotive polishing
compound. I don't think you want to use any spray enamel or other product
as the results are likely to be worse that what you have. If you want to
save the tub and not replace it, call in a professional refinishing outfit.
They do a good job. It is not the same as a new tub, but it does cost a lot
less.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

[email protected] March 21st 06 06:20 PM

Bath tub chip repair

Thanks Joesph, I took your advice and am getting my bathtub re-finished
for $395. Probably about a fraction of the cost of getting a new one.
They will do the whole thing. First they apply a bonding agent, then
the spray-on follwed by finish and buff. The guy said he can do the
whole job in about 5-6 hours, working straight. The other estimate I
got was for $500, and he said he'd come back the next day to buff.
Wonder whether there;s any difference...

Thanks for the advice!
Vijay

Joseph Meehan March 21st 06 07:25 PM

Bath tub chip repair

wrote:
Thanks Joesph, I took your advice and am getting my bathtub
re-finished for $395. Probably about a fraction of the cost of
getting a new one. They will do the whole thing. First they apply a
bonding agent, then the spray-on follwed by finish and buff. The guy
said he can do the whole job in about 5-6 hours, working straight.
The other estimate I got was for $500, and he said he'd come back the
next day to buff. Wonder whether there;s any difference...

Thanks for the advice!
Vijay

Good Luck.

--