DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Snow-proof mailbox holder (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/148957-snow-proof-mailbox-holder.html)

JJ March 13th 06 08:31 PM

Snow-proof mailbox holder

As I've posted here before, my mailbox holder is surviving this winter with
a crutch and splints due to the snowplows. Several of my neighbors have
mailbox mounts that pivot up when the snowplow pushes the snow by the house.
So, rather than standing up to the force of the snow being pushed by the
plow, it swings & pivots away and then settles back to normal after the plow
is gone. Unfortunately, the original owners have moved away and I can't
locate anyone selling this kit.

A 6x6 post is sunk in the ground. The mailbox holder consists of a 2 inch
diameter pipe, fastened to the post with two brackets. Visualize a pipe
shaped like a #7 fastened to the post at about a 45 degree angle. Attached
to the number 7 about midway down on the 7, a collar attaches and that is
free to rotate around the vertical part of the 7. Attached to that is a 4x4
mounted horizontally. That 4x4 extends out and the mailbox is mounted to
that, about 4 ft from the 6x6 post.

So when the plow pushes the snow, the entire 4x4 arm swings& pivots up at an
angle (rather than standing firm to the snow force) and then just swings
back down by gravity and settles into place. I've checked Menards, Home
Depot and the local hardware stores but nobody carries this around here.
Anybody have an idea where I could find this kit?

I hope you can visualize what I'm looking for from this convoluted
description!

Thanks!

tom March 13th 06 09:26 PM

Snow-proof mailbox holder

http://www.steelmailbox.com/html/plowmaster.htm Tom

ok March 15th 06 04:39 PM

Snow-proof mailbox holder

Thank you. A different concept but same idea. Thanks again.
"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.steelmailbox.com/html/plowmaster.htm Tom

Tom The Great December 18th 06 06:46 PM

Snow-proof mailbox holder

On 13 Mar 2006 13:26:29 -0800, "tom" wrote:

http://www.steelmailbox.com/html/plowmaster.htm Tom

Wow thx, I was in a discussion with someone, and the idea was brought
up. I now can tell him where to find more info now.

Thank you,

tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com